Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My inquisitive and sometimes over zealous 2nd year apprentice motor mechanic son has been applying enormous pressure on me to fit larger alloy rims and bigger tyres to the GT (he wants to go 18x8.5/18x9.00 in a BBS style rim or something similar together with, say 255/265x35 series rubber). Than he also wants me to do a big brake upgrade, say 4 or 6 pot AP's or even just the BA Brembo's. Firstly, I know that we have an offset problem with the EL by as much as 25mm all round so big wheels and tyres don't work out. The bigger brakes, using, say, a 343 or 355mm dia rotor requires at least an 18" wheel. So we now have a series of problems. My son and a few of his TAFE mates came up with the idea that the problems could be readily solved by using some hi-tech spacer plates on the rear (yuk) to provide for the offset change required. As for the front end they suggested upgrading to AUIII/BA GTP style front stub axles which would then satisfy the front end offset issue as well as facilitate the fitting of, say, BA GTP style 4 pot Brembo's. Applying this "recommended" solution would accommodate both the larger wheels and tyres as well as the brake upgrade. He's now been landed with production of a research paper on the subject for TAFE (God help him). Better still are there any Techo's out there that could provide some useful and constructive input. I'd be curious as well although I have a pretty good idea as to the bottom line on this issue.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Just look long and hard to find an 18" wheel in the right offset, with enough clearance for the calipers - that will probably be the hardest part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning Outback_Ute. Finding 18" wheels with the correct offset for an "old" EL Falcon such as the GT is an impossible task. Been there, done that. My son and his mates are recommending that I change the offset for the EL to the offest of the late model AUIII/BA GTP. In this way I should enjoy an endless supply of wheels, all of which would satisfy clearance requirements for the big brakes. That's both the challenge and the yet unknown.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
Hi mate, why would you want to change the brakes on your ELGT?
Tell your son to get his own car and do it to his.
I have just put the same setup as yuo GT on my XR6 and its 1000 times better.
Id stay with the ELGT rims, and just get better discs and calipers.
Are you intending to do any track work or anything like that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day TIFKD6. While the GT is still essentially mine it comes down to a father and son thing. We'll both be "airing" the GT on various Hot Lap Days at The Creek. The EL GT rims are far to good to put at risk and the standard "Cobra" brake setup was never intended for track use, even occasionally. That being said we need to go bigger/better brake package which can only be achieved with at least 18" wheels. Given these considerations the proposed upgrade becomes a must. Big question is how best to achieve it.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
Ok fair enough, you could speak to Cebco brakes, and get the Hubs and discs that they make.
The Hub and seperat disc setup is what they useon the saloon cars and its what i have just put on my car.
The hub and seperate disc is better for heat resistance.

You can look at the setup in thie thread linked below.
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=63873

·
Craving Boost
129 Posts
better off going with the 17inch rims as 18's take more enersia(spelling) to get them moving wich equals less power getting to the road

·
FPV-TC ACT Member
20 Posts
The gist I get from your requirements is that you need to basically stop better and grip better on track days, plus having the opp to tinker on the car with your son.

First thing - grip. Forget going to wider rubber. You'd be better off sticking with 17" rims and fitting the same size "grippier" rubber like Dunlop Formula Rs or similar. Even if you get another set of 17" rims just for track days. I reckon it's gonna be a damn side cheaper than getting 18" rims and standard road rubber. Although the Formula Rs will wear quicker you'll get heaps of track days out of them, besides you've got your standard rims and rubber for regular use. How long does it take to change a set of wheels?

Second thing - stopping. First thing I'd ask is WHY the Cobra package is not suitable for track work? Stopping well comes down to a couple of core concepts:

1. Heat dispersion of the rotor.
2. Size of the rotor.
3. Caliper size.
4. Brake pad composition.
5. Brake fluid.
6. Brake fluid supply mechanism - master cylinder, brake lines etc.

I honestly don't beleive that your Cobra system is inadequate for the job, unless you are doing some really HARD and FREQUENT track work. I suggest your master cylinder is ok, the brake fluid is probably ok and the calipers ok too. Have a look at doing the following to improve braking performance:

1. A replacement rotor similar in size to your standard rotors, either slotted or cross-drilled for better cooling. Try DBA (affordable) or AP (very exe).
2. Brake pads. Look at a better pad for heavier duty work. Unfortunately, as soon as you change pads for track work they aren't as good on the raod - u just can't the heat into them around town. You need to find a compromise.
3. Brake lines. Look at braided lines which stop the flexing and swelling of stndard lines under heat and pressure.
4. MAYBE a higher DOT fluid.

Unless the standard calipers are really too small (I'm not overly familiar with your setup) then look at other options. Basically, there are a great range of after market calipers that are bound to fit your setup.

I just don't agree that 18" rims are your only option for a better brake package. Look at the small things first before spending $$$ on bigger wheels, calipers and rotors. Take it in small steps and see how things unfold.

In reality, 18" wheels have not been around for that long. How did cars stop well in the past?? Check out some of the specs on the cars in the Historic Turing Car groups around oz and you'll see that people get got stopping power even out of old drum units!!

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the ELGT brakes even for track days, Its your rotor and pads that are the problem. Get some DBA X drilled and slotted rotors with some Bendex ultimate pads all around. As for the 18in wheels, stick with the 17s you can the same Dunlops that the brutes utes use and I can tell you that thing will be one fast car!! as long as you can drive it....

·
GUN.40L
407 Posts
my mate has simmons FR18's on his ed XR8.... i think these would look sexy on the gt!;) they are also a 3 peice rim wich are pretty light, they gotta be good for racing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long time between drinks here, but I have found a Brembo solution for the EL GT.
Actually I found it years ago when I moved to California.

Happened to be a CTS-V track day as a driver at Laguna Seca & got chummy with the onsite Brembo Engineer.
He & I collaborated over a year to find the right solution.
I had to ship an EL GT upright & rotor (which was not at all cheap, that setup is heavy baby) as part of this investment.
Made many-a long road trip to find the exact solution.
But after a lot of money & time invested, we finally found the perfect solution.

And the stopping improvement is well noticeable & worth the investment.

Just thought I'd update & revive this 13y.o. thread - lost, but never forgotten.!!

Sharing some installation pics here.
And yes, the caliper is inverted because I was too dang excited & foamin' at the mouth to notice I had the right caliper on the left wheel.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts