Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking or offers for a hydratrak diff assembly. This is the diff used in the EL GT, and I believe some Longreach utes, and it is quite a rare beasty.

It is a complete housing, including the special axles, less brake rotors and calipers, with a 3.23 ratio.

I could possibly arrange the fitment of a different ratio if required.

Located on my garage floor in Brisbane, where I trip over it occasionally.

·
GOT MILK??
215 Posts
wats a Hydratrack diff?

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
EL Ghia said:
wats a Hydratrack diff?
Rather than using a conventional cone clutch arrangement to transfer drive, It uses a vane setup with a hydraulic fluid to transfer the drive.. Its abit technial but not hard really..
they are expensive to fix that much I do know & the weak link is the fluid medium overheating.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does require special axles. This diff centre did one easy rally in my car in 1999 (easy because I didn't get very far...) and was relegated to the back of the garage in favor of a traditional cone diff, which I have to rebuild every event to maintain my spec.

I got a really complex explanation once from a sales representative from BTR that made it sound confusing, yet still better than sex. The relatively simple explanation: It works in a similar fashion to a torque converter does in an automatic gearbox. When one side starts to spin faster than the other, torque is gradually transferred to the slower side of the diff through the hydratrak coupling which is like a little torque converter.

The fluid medium can overheat when the diff does very serious work (like burnouts, if you're that way inclined), but rarely, if ever when used on the road or for things like track days. The up side is that it returns to normal after being heated up, unlike a cone diff which will wear out reasonably quickly with some abuse, and then require a rebuild.

Essentially the Hydratraks have advantages and disadvantages, like the standard Falcon cone-type LSD. IMHO, the Hydratrak is a better diff for on-road use, and the cone is better for a competition setting if you are working it really hard, require some consistancy and the ability to set them to a particular setting, and then prepared to rebuild them often like I am. For burnouts, get a spool, and don't even think about trying to drive it on the road.

I don't have a Falcon road car, so it's no use to me, and it has to go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am led to believe that they take the same crown and pinion sets as the standard diffs, so you've got all the usual ratio options.

·
V8 GT pilot
592 Posts
Does it fit into an XE Falcon.
Can i re fit XE Disc brake calipers onto it etc etc

Is there anything wrong with it , noisy ,clunky etc
3.23 is perfect for my car.

If she fits I might be interested.
PM with price. If reasonable to me i'd be prepared to freight it down to Melbourne. ( very expensive so the sell price has to be reasonable )

Regards

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect that the lower control arm brackets may be a different width. I don't have much experience with X-series Falcons, so I am not sure. I also believe that you may be able to have the centre and axles fitted to an X-series housing. The best way to find out would probably be to speak to a good diff shop, or alternatively put a post on the transmission section of the forums. Freighting the axles and centre would be cheaper than the whole thing.

In terms of price, I'm open to offers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i once had an EL Hydratrak Diff fitted to my xf which had a 378 stroker and c4 auto i had run an EL tail shaft and that bolted straight onto the diff and it also fitted in the c4 with out any mods. the lower arms were swapped for EL ones and the whole thing fits in there perfect. plus i also had to stuff arround with the brake lines so that they fit in the xf because in the EF-EL's they run along the lower arms. its as simple as that and i tell you this, these diff are f#*king awswome they handled the 220rwkw that my mottor was putting out with out any trouble.

·
1998 El Futura Enhanced
130 Posts
how much

1 - 20 of 35 Posts