Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Green Falcon Driver
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I own a 98' EL Falcon with a 2.5 inch mandrel bent sports exhaust system. I was wondering what other modifications would be worthwhile....?( and approximate prices ) I have around $2000-3000 ( but i wish to buy some Ford made Mag wheels...)

How much should on spend on a set of 17" wheels+tyres?

Thanks for your help.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
G'day EL-Phat! You have come to the right place my friend. :) Always great to have another EL XR8 on the boards (specifically an EL2!)

I would not worry about getting bigger rims for the time being mate, but instead I'd spend the cash on suspension and intake mods. If you are happy with the stock suspension then I'd say go all out on intake mods and a Unichip.

I'm looking at modifying my intake bits as well, so I have been pricing stuff recently. I'd recommend :
* 24lb injectors + 70mm MAF kit from SVO ~$1000
* 65mm throttle body ~$520
* GT40 upper intake manifold ~$1150
* 1.7 roller rocker ~$620
* EGR spacer ~$100
* Unichip ~$1000

Alternatively, if you didn't want to go the GT40 upper manifold, you could get your current one (the Explorer type one, which flows pretty well anyway!) ported. I am considering this, as over $1000 for a slightly better flowing upper intake (GT40) is a bit steep IMO.

If you do decide to go ahead with the above mods, you will need to modify the ECU to adjust for the new injection and MAF. The most effective way to do this is with a Unichip, which essentially re-maps your computer to operate effectively with the new gear. The good thing with the Unichip is that it is programmed specifically for your machine, and done on a dyno while the car is running. And having this tuning power at hand, you can expect a nice gain in power along with it.

If you wanted to modify your suspension, I can only recommend King springs and Koni shocks, which is what I have put on mine. It has made a world of difference to the handling of the beast, is so much better now! :)

Anyhow, I've probably bored you and everyone with all this ranting, so I'll have a rest now :D :D :D If anyone out there can better the prices above, PLEASE let me know!! They are taken straight from SVO (Southside) Ford in Brisbane.

Cheers
Mike

·
Green Falcon Driver
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps champ....

Nah its a XR6 auto. yeah ive been enquiring about chips...

I think ill whack on a suspension package and a chip...

Then for the big rims. Any prices on decent wheels anyone?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
EL2XR8:
GT40 intake manifold is around $800 from Herrods.
BTW; it won't give you anywhere near as much power as some headwork and valvetrain package. $800 for 4-5kW is poor value. You need a higher spec engine first!
Also, go at least 70mm throttle body over the 65.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
EL2XR8:
GT40 intake manifold is around $800 from Herrods.
BTW; it won't give you anywhere near as much power as some headwork and valvetrain package. $800 for 4-5kW is poor value. You need a higher spec engine first!
Also, go at least 70mm throttle body over the 65.
$800 is definitely better, but still steep for the gains. Agreed on the head work etc., but I reckon the intake side of things still needs to flow more before any more mods, to make them worthwhile. Yeah would prefer the 70mm TB to match the MAF, but not as many about and quite dearer than the 65mm from what I've seen :(

Good stuff though mate, if you see any other good prices, give us a yell! :thumbup:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
EL-Phat said:
Thanks heaps champ....

Nah its a XR6 auto. yeah ive been enquiring about chips...

I think ill whack on a suspension package and a chip...

Then for the big rims. Any prices on decent wheels anyone?
Aaah, the 6... looks like I wasted a bit of breath then eh!! ;) ;)

A very good option here is a chip and cam package, since you've already got the exhaust. You can expect 130kW+ at the wheels with this, which is in the league of the V8's!!

·
7,777 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Good stuff though mate, if you see any other good prices, give us a yell! :thumbup:
On racesearch.com Scat steel stroker cranks - $1700USD. Best power for money me thinks!

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
US1700? Ouch! Haven't I seen 347ci cranks on sale in Oz for around the same, but in Aussie pesos? Pro Stroke etc?

·
7,777 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
yeah but are the aussie cranks cast or 4340.??
The Scat stuff includes the entire kit. 4340 steel crank, brgs, H-beam rods, and pistons. (i.e. all quality stuff!)
They have cast stroker kits for a lot less than that!

T

·
0 Posts
I know that and you know that. What I'm trying to ascertain from our friend is wether the aussie prices he say's are cheaper are they for cast or 4340.

·
7,777 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
I know that and you know that. What I'm trying to ascertain from our friend is wether the aussie prices he say's are cheaper are they for cast or 4340.
Yeah I know you know that too..... Just backing you up!
Oh another point - if you stroke a Windsor you MUST use a girdle. The block moves around too much otherwise!

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Or use an 4 bolt block like an R302 or A4 of course. ;)

Of course if you're going to go down that path you may as well start with a good 4 bolt 351 block and do the 392 stroker...

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
Yeah - good point. I don't know. I just remeber seeing a stroker kit in a mag somewhere for somewhere in the teens. What power level would a cast crabk be good for, I mean if you're building a 347 donk to tow a skiboat or something with a max of 6000rpm, would a cast be okay?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts