Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone from the UK.

First, my apologies if I use incorrect terminology - bits of cars have different names here in the UK.

I run a 97 Fairmont 4.0 (imported from Australia). It has developed an oil leak from the lower front of the engine. It drips onto the crossmember and can be seen when I look down behind the radiators fans.

First guess was the oil pan gasket, so, when the new one arrived from Australia, I had my local garage fit it.

The leak continued, so I ordered a front crank oil seal.

I fitted this today and the oil leak is still there. While I had the crank pulley off I couldn't see any sign of a leak from the seal but, as I was this far, I changed it anyway.

I seem to remember the garage owner complaining about the difficulty they had in changing the oil pan gasket. I have now read that the engine should be removed to do this job.

Can anyone tell me if this is right or if the gasket can be changed without removing the engine? If it can, is there some clever technique to do this?

Any help or suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you support the engine and remove the K frame you can change the sump gasket easily.

Ha-ha. Here is the first language barrier: 'K frame'? Is that what we would call the engine bed - the frame that the front cross-member is part of, that bolts below the chassis?

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its probably the timing chain case that is leaking.

Thanks Raven. I hope not.

Alan

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fairmont_UK said:
If you support the engine and remove the K frame you can change the sump gasket easily.

Ha-ha. Here is the first language barrier: 'K frame'? Is that what we would call the engine bed - the frame that the front cross-member is part of, that bolts below the chassis?

Cheers

Alan
Thats the one! The front subframe that bolts to the body from underneath.
Beauty bonza cobber mate!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts