Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
El Clicking Noise!!

Hey Guys,

I've got a 98 EL Fairmont and i have a sorta clicking noise comming from somewear on my front left hand side (i thing its from the front) It only occurs when im accelerating, and as soon as i let go it stops. When i got the window down and i pass cars i can also hear it quite well.

Does anyone know what it might be?

Thanks..

·
Registered
203 Posts
What fuel are you using? It might be pinging a bit from unleaded fuel (Use PremiumUnleaded).

Regards
Shane

·
Registered
847 Posts
nah since it is an el the ecu would retard timing a bit if there was a knock. I would say time for an oil change and maybe use something a bit thinner, also give the engine a good flush too.

·
Super Moderator
3,736 Posts
I suspect it is the CANP (Cannister Purge Solonoid) or Purge Control VSV which is inside the front of the left hand wheel arch below the carbon cannister. It should be suspended in mid air by the hoses from the carbon cannister but if it moves so it is contacting the body work or chassis you will hear it in the cabin as it opens and close s on acceleration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah i really doubt its anything to do with the type of petrol, beacause i ONLY use 98ron high octane petrol and nothing less.
In regards to oil, doubt it also as its just had a service less than 3000kms.
Possibly it could be the CANP, though i havn't got the slightest idea of what it is.
How do i make it stop if it is that??

Cheers,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
3,736 Posts
Just move it so it is again suspended in mid air by the hoses and no longer touching the bodywork. It a silver coloured valve with two wires and two small hoses plugged into it and you will find it just in front of the left front wheel hidden in the cavity just ahead of the wheel arch. I say the odds are about 90:1 it's the CANP.

·
Super Moderator
3,736 Posts
PS to test if it's the CANP just unplug it from the wiring harness and go for test drive. Occasionally faulty ones get extra noisy even when not making contact with the bodywork;if this proves to be the case just replace it. They are not expensive.

·
Registered
847 Posts
has anyone got a pic im real bad at finding stuff if i dont have a picture.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Guys, appriciate your help,

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let ya know how i go.

M

·
0 Posts
im having the same problem with my EF. i'll try what aussieblue said and see if that fixes it.

·
Super Moderator
3,736 Posts
BTW I was assuming it was obvious but if you remove the hoses from the valve to test if it is the source of the ticking you should temporarily block the disconnected vacuum hose during the test (block both if you don't know which is which). Golf tees are good for blocking vacuum hoses (and in my case not much good for anything else)

·
Registered
30 Posts
im a member of the ford performance forem and we had the same topic, only the answer to the problem was the ticking was coming from the manifold. my 250 I6 is ticking too but i traced the problem to the doughnut which seals my exhaust to the manifold. your problem may only be that, and if so dont worry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys,

Well i played around with CANP, and moved it, and all that. And that freaking ticking noise is still there, I jUst cant see what else it could be, coz there is nothing else around in the front left area, well not that i can see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts