Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 1997 EL XR6 for about a year now, and when I’m either in neutral/stopped the rpms drop and go up. I’m struggling to pinpoint what exactly this problem can be. Can someone make a list of what issues can cause the rpms to play up?

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
This is most often caused by a vacuum leak from the inlet manifold gasket at number 1 or 6 where the inlet manifold meets the head. The retaining nuts come loose and a small piece of the gasket burns through. To find the leak use a metre or so length of windscreen washer sized hose with one end in you ear while you poke around the inlet manifold listening for a sucking noise. Do this with engine idling both when the engine is cold and once it's at normal operating temperature (as the change in temp of the manifold and head can often open or close the gap where the leak is). The usual tricks of spraying oil, engine start aerosol, butane or similar to find the leak usually won't work on these engines like it does on old carburetor engines because the leak is usually at the lowest point of the manifold and gravity gets in the way and the also as the ECU rapidly adapts to small additions of these fluids and gases and no change in revs will be apparent. . As the usual cause is the inlet manifold nuts become loose and burning the bottom of the manifold gasket out so simply tightening the loose nuts won't solve it; you need to buy and install a new inlet manifold gasket.

__

1 - 3 of 3 Posts