Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should know... i had an EL Ghia flog me the other day.. only by a bit, but at speed(80-100) it was just pulling ahead(although i think it started before me-cant be sure-i'll assume defeat). she'd had an exhaust and maybe other trinkets, but mine's had pipe work and a K+N too, plus i'm sitting behind 3 pedals.

time to trick up the old five litre.... hehe..

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
... and you've got the windsor! Yeah it's woeful how detuned the E series windsors are... absolutely shocking. If only the EL windsors had the GT40s on em.

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
I'll agree with you there jmartion, when cruising back in the days befor my mulitpoint conversion I lined one up (very stupid I know but was all in fun)...not realising at the time they had the XR6 motor haha.

I got him off the line but all I saw after was his tail lights :wnc:

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Baxle said:
I'll agree with you there jmartion, when cruising back in the days befor my mulitpoint conversion I lined one up (very stupid I know but was all in fun)...not realising at the time they had the XR6 motor haha.

I got him off the line but all I saw after was his tail lights :wnc:
Hehehe :) That would be the joy in owning a Ghia - all the Commo punks who don't know much about cars would think you're driving an old man's car, but then at the lights... Little do they know that all that sweet Ticky gear is in there! :dj:

·
cruzing somewhere
28 Posts
yeah i know the 5 litres are not that quick where a 5ltr el ghia has 175kw and a 4ltr el ghia has 164kw but when the 8 has a couple hundred kilos of extra iron the 6 is a quicker car cause it does not have as much weight to pull off the line

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 6 aint as asthmatic as the stock 8, and so it revs quicker. (the 5.0s didnt go to 175kw till AU)but yeh unfortunately the xr6 motor whoops the 8, when they're both stock..

a mate of mine who had a rock solid 500hp 351 ZK(to the point where it was stolen and thrashed, and the motor was fine- the bastards were gonna come back for it) says that the 5.0 windsors are 'asleep'. couldnt have said it better.

anyone got some spare AU/EL2XR8 manifold heads/manifolds??

·
Registered
80 Posts
The EL Ghia is such a fantastic car, absolutely loaded with gear, pioneer sound, leather, trip, funky dash but with nice dials, luxo exterior with reasonably nice alloys, fitted with the Xr6 engine, exaust, diff and suspension, lsd. Certainly made a nice top of the line short wheel base car. Sexy fast and a sleeper. Last of a the e series, so most bugs were worked out (chrome gear shifter button sometimes fall off and E series head gasket thing) and hit the nail on the head power wise. Compared to a V6 Calias it craps on it. As a euro fighter, it was nearly there, reasonable build and reliability, stonking performance and plenty of kit, but no gawdy wings etc.

Shame the BA Ghia isn't in the same vein, XR6 suspension, turbo engine (or atleast a Hot six standard 200Kw please), maybe G220 seats as a option. If people want just a luxo car they can get a fairmont, the Ghia is ment to be dam well special.

I loved driving that EL, it was a tough package. Old man loved it too, sure the statesman is a huge car with chrome, but the ghia had that sports car soul that would actually tempt you to enjoy driving.

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
jmartion said:
the 6 aint as asthmatic as the stock 8, and so it revs quicker. (the 5.0s didnt go to 175kw till AU)but yeh unfortunately the xr6 motor whoops the 8, when they're both stock..

a mate of mine who had a rock solid 500hp 351 ZK(to the point where it was stolen and thrashed, and the motor was fine- the bastards were gonna come back for it) says that the 5.0 windsors are 'asleep'. couldnt have said it better.

Early EL XR8s were 170Kw, upped to an earth shattering 175Kw along the way, The EL2 XR8 like my recently departed red beast was released at 185kw. (not a powerhouse but hardly an overwheight slug.)

They are now 6+ years old and any street battle is more an indication of maintenance, modifications and state of tune than a decisive 6 verses 8 decider.

Loved that car, love the BA more though.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My XR6 has a major obstacle to any fast runs - the manual gearbox. Since I got it at 48000 kms, it will not shift from 1st to 2nd quickly at higher revs (above 4000) without crunching the gears. 2nd to 3rd is no problem. If I let the revs drop below 4000 (which takes a second) it is OK, but by that time the race is lost. I don't particularly want to sacrifice my gearbox for the sake of saying I beat someone in a drag.

But in general, if the revs are kept above 2000RPM, it runs sweeeeet!!

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
jmartion said:

I disagree, and it's not just because I own one. You can't just look at peak power figures that are achieved at a particular RPM, if you look at the integral of the power and torque curves for the windsor and the I6 you'll find that the areas under the V8 curves are typically larger than those of the 6. 8's are renown for their low rev pulling capabilities and although there may be a fly's penis between the two peak figures as stock, the 8 will typically pull more consistently. Look already at the comments in this thread regarding the tickford 6 pulling away once it had reached a certain speed. In addition, the 8 responds well to modification by virtue of the fact that it is the most heavily detuned :eek:wned:

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Eights are great, but no where near as good a value as the six. Ofcourse if value isn't your concern than the eight would probably be your pick. But no one can denie the speed and performance of the Ford six, annoying as it is, its a ****ing big powerful motor. A mini V8 if you will...

Although I have run many 5.0s of both Holden and Ford, I find typically unless it has more than just an exhaust and isn't a manual (my car is auto) I own em off the line right round to about 130 or so before they start to catch up. but by that time most races are over, or the 5.0 driver conceeds and notes who's motor has more balls.

I'd love an eight but they just aren't fast enough, and I don't want to spend thousands making it as good as a smaller motor that goes just as well. The eight needs to go considerably better, like 2 car lengths faster than the six off the line to be worth owning IMO.

My 2.2c

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RED_EL_XR8 said:
Early EL XR8s were 170Kw, upped to an earth shattering 175Kw along the way, The EL2 XR8 like my recently departed red beast was released at 185kw. (not a powerhouse but hardly an overwheight slug.)
that snippet of info, i was not aware of.

but yeh the 6s are quick and well, to have a car to mince them i'll haf to buy heads/manifold most likely! ah well..

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
94ED_Fairmont said:
Eights are great, but no where near as good a value as the six. Ofcourse if value isn't your concern than the eight would probably be your pick. But no one can denie the speed and performance of the Ford six, annoying as it is, its a ****ing big powerful motor. A mini V8 if you will...

Although I have run many 5.0s of both Holden and Ford, I find typically unless it has more than just an exhaust and isn't a manual (my car is auto) I own em off the line right round to about 130 or so before they start to catch up. but by that time most races are over, or the 5.0 driver conceeds and notes who's motor has more balls.

I'd love an eight but they just aren't fast enough, and I don't want to spend thousands making it as good as a smaller motor that goes just as well. The eight needs to go considerably better, like 2 car lengths faster than the six off the line to be worth owning IMO.

My 2.2c
You miss the point of the eight over the six, the eight has a better spread of power, buckets of mid range torque, much better NVH than the sixes, yes even the windsors.

People get hung up on text book figures rather than driving the cars. if you want a light to light screamer buy a wrx it'll do the job.

But if you want comfort, longevity, effortless mumbo at any revs, a sweet exhaust note, and a good everyday driver it'll be the eight everytime.

Just cost you can dust some eights in your six doesn't mean there arent a bunch of eights of similar vintage ready to blow you into the weeds. And it doesn't matter how fast you make it there is always going to be somebody out there with a quicker one. (this may not apply to the minge thang. :> )

The Falc sixes are good units, quick and pretty damn good value for money but there is no way they are any replacement for the eights now or any time soon.

·
Registered
582 Posts
my dads EL GHIA is great ... i think the greatest benefit with the sixes was the shorter diff(higher numerically) ive got a sneaking suspicion that they left the taller diff in the eight for fuel economy. had the shorter diff gone in the eight?? it may have been the other way around....i think

·
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!
1,660 Posts
I've got a I6 fairmont (not ghia) with extractors/exhaust/cam/filter/245's/3.45:1 LSD/Electronic-quik-shift and my mate with a stock el ghia runs the same time of 15.9

:( lol

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yawn... more dribble from HAD owners living in denial... have not been challenged by one yet in my "old slug Windsor"... come on girls, where's the cheeze? :1poke: :rofl: :rofl2:

Any of you HAD owners wanting a lesson in torque, apply here

Yes sir, I would love to take this opportunity to experience the virtues of a "bolt-on" Old Slug Windsor
Sign here ---> .......................................

·
Not a Twink
1,086 Posts
Mr Sparkle said:
Yawn... more dribble from 6-pack owners living in denial... have not been challenged by one yet in my "old slug Windsor"... come on girls, where's the cheeze? :1poke: :rofl: :rofl2:
*grabs a windsor crank*

Lets get em fellas !

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
honer said:
*grabs a windsor crank*

Lets get em fellas !
Careful its not a broken one....

:p

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good one Shane,all the best for xmas and the new year.
Cheers John

1 - 20 of 35 Posts