Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys just wondering if there was a big differance in the Series 1 ELXR8 MAF and the Series 2 ELXR8 MAF. How much bigger was the EL2 compared to the EL1. I have been told the EL1 was 55mm and the EL2 is 58mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Is it worth me swapping my MAF for an EL2 or should i focus on obtaining an AU MAF housing

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Both ran the same MAF, which is about 55mm at the smallest point. There is probably no point changing to a larger MAF until you have some other mods done first, but then upgrading to an AU one or aftermarket C&L or GMS one will give you a decent improvement.

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EDXR8 said:
Both ran the same MAF, which is about 55mm at the smallest point. There is probably no point changing to a larger MAF until you have some other mods done first, but then upgrading to an AU one or aftermarket C&L or GMS one will give you a decent improvement.
Mods done to the car are included in my signiture. Light see if i can get a hold of an AU 70mm and swap my electronic.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Go for a MAF about 70mm Thomas! Would really complement the rest of your setup. You know what's bad about having all those mods and having your intake choked up by a small restrictive MAF.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
EDXR8 said:
Missed that, yeah you would see a decent power increase I would think. Instead of the AU MAF, look at the C&L ones from the US, even with freight etc it will still work out cheaper than the AU one and is a better unit. Summit racing stock them for $125US so you are probably only looking at around $250 all up. Link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=VOR-8A101-021

for that price(au$250) does that include duty and taxes?
im gonna order one this week, what do i need to know before i do?
have you ordered from them b4?

cheers, phil

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EDXR8 said:
Missed that, yeah you would see a decent power increase I would think. Instead of the AU MAF, look at the C&L ones from the US, even with freight etc it will still work out cheaper than the AU one and is a better unit. Summit racing stock them for $125US so you are probably only looking at around $250 all up. Link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=VOR-8A101-021
Looks good this one. Can this bolt onto the standard airbox?

I have an large MAF already laying around but im not 100% sure exactly what model Mustang its off. Can anybody recognize it?

·
2,784 Posts
Thomas, the one in the pic looks like an older GT Cobra MAF, similar to what was used on the EB GT and ED Sprint.

Philstoj, I have ordered from them before. You do not get import taxes or duty until you reach $250AU wort of goods (not including freight etc). Summit charge a packing fee for overseas orders of around $25US, you can find out the exact cost on there site somewhere.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
yeh but what about having to get injectors to match?

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EDXR8 said:
Thomas, the one in the pic looks like an older GT Cobra MAF, similar to what was used on the EB GT and ED Sprint.

Philstoj, I have ordered from them before. You do not get import taxes or duty until you reach $250AU wort of goods (not including freight etc). Summit charge a packing fee for overseas orders of around $25US, you can find out the exact cost on there site somewhere.
EDXR8,

Do you think i can still use this old cobra maf housing or should i settle for the vortech from summit racing

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeh but what about having to get injectors to match?

I thought that u would have to change to the 30lpb injestors
ford sell a kit whihc has the 8 *30lpb injectors & the 70mm afm , but this afm u dont have to swap the electrice on the afm

·
2,784 Posts
Thomas said:
EDXR8,

Do you think i can still use this old cobra maf housing or should i settle for the vortech from summit racing
Yeah it should be fine. If the electronics have the same plug you can just plug it in otherwise just swap your electronics over to it. It is a good idea to dyno it after and check AF ratio's just to be safe.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
In the case with Cobra/Gt type mafs although they run 24 Lp on engine the maf is actually calibrated for 19 Lp injectors, the X3Z[Cobra] eec changes settings to suit. An eec tuner or twEECer can change settings with this eec... SO the Cobra maf will work on 19's with std XR8 eec...Vortech / C&L are in some ways better as they can be calibrated with sample tubes..Vortech can run richer due to being made for blown engines...

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EDXR8 said:
Yeah it should be fine. If the electronics have the same plug you can just plug it in otherwise just swap your electronics over to it. It is a good idea to dyno it after and check AF ratio's just to be safe.

Im gonna swap my electronics to it and see how i go. This MAF is pretty big. Possible into thr 80mm's. I suppose if it runs shithouse then ill swap it back over to standard MAF. Does EEC need to be reset after this mod. Also, what is a sample tube on an MAF

·
2,784 Posts
The sample tube is the little hole or tube part inside the MAF where the electronics sensor wires sit and measurements are taken. On the C&L you can change the size of the sample tube to suit different size injectors.

As with any mod, it is a good idea to reset the eec. This way the EEC will adjust to any differences much quicker.

·
Formally Thomas
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EDXR8 said:
The sample tube is the little hole or tube part inside the MAF where the electronics sensor wires sit and measurements are taken. On the C&L you can change the size of the sample tube to suit different size injectors.

As with any mod, it is a good idea to reset the eec. This way the EEC will adjust to any differences much quicker.

Yeah no worries, mite try this mod over weekend. This MAF has a sample tube as seen in the pic. Im little concerned how ill mount the thing as it cant bolt onto the airbox. also, the rubber pipe from the t/b wont fit either. Any suggestions there. Would the vortech fit this rubber tube?

·
2,784 Posts
You have to rig something up. Either cut the intake tubing just before the airbox and fit it there or use a pod filter.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I bought the GT alloy adapter...From Ford

1 - 20 of 21 Posts