Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what type of box this is? What are it's limits as far as engine modifications are concerned? eg:240kw302 or 5.6 windsor.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Gearbox is a BTR 97LE, this box is still used in the T3's. So yeah it can stand a good dose of power.

There have been reliability problems, but i think they have been solved on the later models.

Fluid change and possibly a transmission cooler will help extend the life of these boxs.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
I just had mine done to withstand around 250-270kw. The major problem with the 95LE is heat build up. As EF_Falcon_GuY said, change fluid as often as possible and use a good cooler. Being an XR8 it already would have the tickford cooler which is good for general use, but not too good with towing or thrashing in hot weather. The second reason for heat build up is the relatively slow shift in these transmissions. You can either modify the valve body costing you up to $500 to shift quicker or modify the computer via a chip to do the same, this is cheaper but not as good. I had mine rebuilt with stronger bands, modified valve body and computer and a larger cooler. It now shifts very quickly and has no problem burning the trans fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts