Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experiance installing electric windows into an XD/XF? I own an XD and I am in the middle of installing electric windows from an XF. I have brought the wiring loom and this is where my problem is. The main connector (labeled dash connector in service manual) has got 3 wires. The XD service manual says that the XD version only had 2 wires (+ve and -ve) My question is, what is this third wire and is there a connector waiting for me somewhere in the dash or do I have to route some power to it myself? Thanks in advance.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
zzzzzzzzap

wiring.

I have put elec windows in lots of cars and have a lot less hair because of it. The electric window mechanism / regulators /motors in XD/E/F doors are all the same. LOOMS ARE DIFFERENT If your XD is stock falcon, it probably doesnt have the power plug, which by memory is located under the ashtray somewhere, or drivers kick panel. If is a fairmont it should be there.

To power up the windows, you only need accesory power (preferably through a relay)and a good earth to the loom you bought. The extra wire, im not too sure about, perhaps its for the extra ciggy lighter in the console??

Have you tried getting a loom out of XD ghia instead. Are you running the XF switches in the drivers door, or the XD / XE ones in the console. On the late model XF's there is 3 or 4 relays mounted in the front pass door, this stops the switches burning out.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's a stocky GL, the swiches are all out of an XF Fairlane (In doors) The door liners and seats are all XF LTD (ZL or something) there is two sets of relay blocks on either side of the loom, I was wondering what they where for! Each has block has two blue ford relays in them. I didn't actualy get the loom from under the dash, just the loom from where it leaves the dash and enters the doors, If I posted a pic of the wiring scematic would that help? The colours are black (-ve) yellow (+ve) and a grey with yeallow trace (Mystery wire) The actural ciggy lighter has a different connector!

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
botch racks his brains thinking what grey/yellow wire is for....

just remembered......the relays are for central locking-NOT WINDOWS. There should be a separate relay (one only) to switch power from accesories.:(

You will need to run the XF looms to all 4 doors then. Are you putting in central lock too?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
locking

Already have an after market central locking in it, maybe later goto the stock ford version since the one I have now is pretty sucky!! Is the relay you are talking about for the windows in the relay block next to the fuses (With the A/C relay)? Thanks heaps for the help!

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
yep

relay is normally mounted on lhs of coloum under pastic cover. You can simply wire up a normal bosch relay to do the same job. I can draw you pic if you like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
artwork

Thanks heaps for that, I think that there is already a space for the relay but not sure if it is wired up, have to suss it out! IBTW. love the artwork!!;) Ohh yeah, are you in Melbourne? if so where would you recomend I go to get a drivers master control switch? I'm finding it pretty had to come by one?!!

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
sorry not in Melb. Live Albury/Wodonga. Formerly master artist . Are you after new or second hand control switch. The local wrecker here has heaps try them on :

MJR AUTOMOTIVE FORD WRECKERS:

02 60 212 060

They freight stuff all over oz.
otherwise try www.yellowpages.com.au and search for ford wreckers:nuts:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
work of art!!!

Picasso, eat your heart out;) I'm after a second hand one, I've found one at $75. Sound expensive, dunno what a good price is though! Thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to come back to you for help later in the project!

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
XD Sedan, I have been asked to post this, I hope it helps.

The third wire is for the power mirrors, I think . If I'm right the third wire should be thinner and there will be a connector with the same thin wire and a black thin one as well just "inside" the door
Don't know what that all means myself but thank O'Man from the UteMan site if it helps.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
Can you get fast glass for a XH ute as they look to have the same shape(I think being a ute!)doors as a XD/F/G but I've heard that they are different??!(inner skin or something)Does anyone know if the XH's come out with power windows?
Is there a website around that has aftermarket kits?Jaycar had some kits but they are all gone.
Has anyone heard of a brand called "Electic life" they were in Street Machine ages ago...

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
I have seen kits which basicilly mount onto existing manual window regulator. Simply pull off trim and handle, plastic gear slips over shaft were handle was and plastic gear and cable run through to motor bolted inside of door. Seemed to work pretty good and probably cheaper than a proper electric motor & regulator assembly.

Im 95% sure that you XF ghia reg's should bolt straight up to XH

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
Kits were availble from Jaycar a while back, Might be okay on rice but didn't have the grunt to do an old, ahem, Holden window up again and teh crappy plastic switches broke while installing them...:(

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
Lecky Windows

I see in this month's "Parts Peddler" page 136-137 some company called LE Electric or EL Electric and claiming to be the "power window professionals" are advertising power window kits that look somewhat more substantial than the Jaycar type. No prices or website but they give their addresses as 2/90 Heathcote Rd Moorebank and 295 Sydney Rd Coburg. The also do excahnge motors and other parts and bits.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Has anyone heard of a brand called "Electic life" they were in Street Machine ages ago... [/B]

Electric Life are a company in Sydney that do aftermarket power windows (and other stuff). They also do repo factory power window switches. I've never dealt with them so I don't know what they are like. Here's the contact details for them.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Don't know if you found out what that other wire is for yet but i'll tell you anyway.

That wire you find will be a power wire that goes to the other three doors to allow that doors switch to work. Power goes in through the main wire, and then goes down your mystery wire to provide power to the other switches on the doors.

This is how the LOCK/UNLOCK switch works.

I found this out the expensive way. I did the same to my xf(adding elec windows) but none of the passengers switches worked. Thinking they were faulty I bought brand new ones(not cheap!!) and they still didn't work. You could guess how annoyed i was.

Alternatively you can just put +12v into both the wires but your LOCK/UNLOCK switch won't work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which one?

Hmm, conflicting stories here... umm, is the third wire for the master (drivers) window... or for the door lock switches?... I still haven't gotten off my bum and brought the motors yet, so there's no rush. Just wondering who's go it right? Thanks for all the help though!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I pretty sure I'm correct. I've done it myself. Your mystery wire is nothing to do with door locks or mirrors. It gives power to the up/down switch on the passenger doors for the windows.

I'll try and get a wiring diagram up for ya!

Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mystery Fast Glass Wire

G'Day All,

Being the computer numpty I am, I tried to post this but lost it. So here is take 2.

The Grey/Yellow wire is the power feed for your electric window switches (according to the factory XF workshop manual). It is fed from the accessory power feed and feeds all power window switches in the driver's door directly.

It also passes through the power lockout switch before going to the power window switches in the other 3 doors. This allows you to cut power to the other windows (useful if you have kids with wandering fingers!), but the driver still has control over all windows.

As for the electric window motor/regulator assemblies - you can pick them up dirt cheap. I picked up a couple for a mate at the Werribee Swap Meet (western Melbourne) earlier this year for $5 each. Also saw them at the Super Southern Swap Meet (Ballarat) this year for $10 each.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Rob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts