Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Getting Annoyed With Ford
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a strange electrical gremlin going on. I have an 04 F150 with about 165K on it, don't know what sort of maintenance the previous owner did (or didn't do) to it as I bought it from a dealership.

I decided to upgrade the factory stereo to a cheapo touchscreen (got it from someone who bought it off Wish-dot-com and didn't like it). After a while, with my existing amp and sub added (used the same equipment minus the head in my old 95 with no issues) I started having random electrical issues. I acquired a Bluetooth OBDII scanner from Walmart to try to figure out where my issue is stemming from, but so far no luck. The biggest issue I'm facing, is that my Door Ajar light will randomly trip and start mis-registering that the door is open, of course with the annoying chime and all.

Here's where it gets really weird. When my phone logs out from the Bluetooth dongle, the electrical issues seem to resume. I believe the head unit has fried two separate amps, as my sub will sometimes work but will cut off after about 20 minutes. Is it possible that the head unit has started causing other issues as well? When my Door Ajar light comes on, the only way to stop it is to reconnect my phone to the Dongle. When the Door Ajar light is on, the head unit reacts appropriately - when power to the engine is cut, the head turns off instantly, registering that the door has been opened even if that is not the case. When my phone syncs with the Bluetooth dongle, and turns off the Door light, this also affects the behavior of the head unit - it will continue to play until I either turn it off or it times out. Obviously, this is concerning due to colder weather being around the corner. I don't feel like trying to troubleshoot electrical issues in the middle of winter.

Do you think this issue could be caused by my head unit, being a Chinesium unit and all? If not, where else would I be looking? I really just hope it's not my computer, because I can't afford to fix or replace that.

·
Super Moderator
21,059 Posts
Spray all door locks / latches with WD 40 and open and shut a few times to work it in . Another suggestion .

2005 F150 Door Ajar Light

" Unfortunately I had to let the dealer take care of the problem, the problem was on the passanger side... in the foot panel & connectors.. Basically the fuse panel just to the right of the passenger floor area behind the shaped plastic panel. There was corrosion in there causing the trouble... All works good for now..... "

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
This is a problem area all Ford, especially Truck and Mustang, owners should be aware of. The cowl drain clogs with debris and causes water to enter the right side kickpanel and fuse area with the inevitable result.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spray all door locks / latches with WD 40 and open and shut a few times to work it in . Another suggestion .

2005 F150 Door Ajar Light

" Unfortunately I had to let the dealer take care of the problem, the problem was on the passanger side... in the foot panel & connectors.. Basically the fuse panel just to the right of the passenger floor area behind the shaped plastic panel. There was corrosion in there causing the trouble... All works good for now..... "
I did spray the locks and latches with WD40, but with no luck. Fortunately, I do have a can of WD40 Electrical Contact that I can use, but I'm really not looking forward to tearing into a wiring area that has almost no clearance.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a problem area all Ford, especially Truck and Mustang, owners should be aware of. The cowl drain clogs with debris and causes water to enter the right side kickpanel and fuse area with the inevitable result.
Okay so I may have to take my air compressor and blow it out - I would use my ShopVac but the motor just blew out on it. I think I'm also going to remove the aftermarket stereo and put the OEM system back in, see if that helps at all.

·
Super Moderator
21,059 Posts
" I'm also going to remove the aftermarket stereo and put the OEM system back in "
Good idea .

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Bajarider I think you may be right! I legitimately LOLed!

I decided to pull the passenger door panel off and inspect the lock mechanism, and evidently I forgot to put a couple plugs back in - who woulda thunk there's wiring harnesses even on something so simple as a lock?! I also put the OEM stereo back in (no more bass :( ) and will be monitoring it over the next few weeks. I'm going to try disconnecting the Bluetooth dongle too, to see if the issue has been resolved. I'll update as I find out more. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: had another fuel injector go bad, causing of course the CEL to go off. Interestingly, the door problem seems to have come back, and only goes away when I have the Bluetooth module connected and synced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts