Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

With the advent of EVs and PHEVs, I was just wondering what are your thoughts on converting a falcon to run off electricity/solar panels in a home.
My idea is to put a battery pack in the boot and use the electricity from the battery to power an HHO generator so that the engine can run off hydrogen on demand.
Yes I know, HHO generator kits are regarded as "snake oil", but!, using this method allows the car to run off electric power since the battery can be "plugged in" for recharging like a PHEV so that electricity (or solar panels on a home) could be used to power the car. Regenerative braking from hybrid technology could also be implemented. One good thing about HHO is that it also produces pure oxygen gas which could be used in a similar fashion like Nitrous oxide.

Here are some studies done on hydrogen combustion efficiency compared to gasoline:
(cannot post link - please google: science direct article on google titled Effect of hydroxy (HHO) gas addition on gasoline engine performance and emissions)
"The results also showed 10% increment in the gasoline engine thermal efficiency (ie. improved power kw per unit of heat), 34% reduction in fuel consumption, 18% reduction in CO2"

the attached research paper also shows improved BTE over gasoline combustion

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,926 Posts
Are you implying putting solar panels on a car, or just plugging into the panels for charging?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not on the car. That would not be practical. Most homes have solar panels on the roof. So the lithium battery could simply be recharged in the home from a wall socket.

·
Super Moderator
7,926 Posts
Just checking.

There's a lot of variables in here. Number of panels, KW capacity per panel, how bright your sun is in your geography (in the North East of the US, solar electricity really sucks, but the tree huggers keep pushing it), etc. I've said for years that hydrogen should be the way to go, just need to figure out what to do with the by-product when you have 3 lanes of bumper to bumper doing 15 mph in sub zero weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts