Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i was to put electronic ignition form an XE-XF onto my XA does anyone no hom much i would be looking at to do this?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
About 150-300 for a computer and 50-100 for a dizzy, and get the loom :0)

Prices are a guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
About 150-300 for a computer and 50-100 for a dizzy, and get the loom :0)

Prices are a guess.
...and what "computer" would that be???

Presuming this is for a 6 cylinder.

XE Dizzy's can be had anywhere for CHEAP. You don't need a computer for them but they do have an internal ignitor which is sometimes prone to failure so get one from an engine that was known to run ok. There are two wires which run to the coil (red + and green -). You can wire that up in under 10mins.

If you pull the dizzy apart to clean it replace the "white silicon grease" under the module with a product called UNIK or something from Dick Smith. It helps transfer heat from the module to the dizzy body which acts as a heat sink.

Just stating the obvious here, set your engine to TDC and mark the location of the rotor before you remove the dizzy. Makes re-fitting the XE dizzy that much easier. Then get a timing light onto it for a quickie tune up.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
well my XF had electronic ignition, was NOT efi, and had a computer in the passenger footwell, i thought it controlled iginition, if not, what the hell was it there for ??

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thats a timing computer, there more trouble than they're worth. They act like the advance mechanisms in the dissy, your dissy would have been locked.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Oh i see, well mine never missed a beat in 6 odd years I had it, and I gave the car heaps, thas was between 92 and 98 or there abouts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
XA Fairmont said:
So i need the dizzy and the coil? Is That it?
yeah but from an XE. not an XF. jut make life easy on yourself.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Leads you have will be fine, 6.5 would be ok, but 8mm + is better and good for most apps, only get 10mm+ if you are running massive engine numbers.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
YUP sure will, and a good choice IMO

standard was 6 or 6.5 from memory

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So all i need is the dizzy and coil of an XE Falcon (I take it all XE's had electric ignition) and 8 mm Top Gun Leads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts