Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Australian Fairmont Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Gals
I have been doing a few checks and calculations and have found that my AUII Fairmont speedo is optimistic by about 3.3% with the standard 215/60/16 tyres but as I am going to fit Tickford 17 inch wheels with 235/45/17 tyres this optimism will be compounded by another 3.3% for a total of 6.7%
I was going to fit a "Yellow Box" electronic recalibrator made by Blackrobotics of Wollongong but their web page appears to have vanished.
Does anyone have an address that I can write to, or a phone number so I can contact them.
Also has anyone else installed one of these units to a late model Ford - if so how successful was the result

·
The Third Power
1,332 Posts
not sure about the Blackrobotics unit

but chiptorque have a similar unit www.chiptorque.com.au

We are able to get the holdens recalibrated at a dealership or really anyone with a TechII, is there any opportunity to do that with yours ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a guy in Revesby, NSW that has a 'black box' to handle recalibrations. Forgot his address but IIV8II might remember.

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
tyres

Not sure if this applies to you. Tyres in the following sizes should all be the same rolling diameter within reason. 205/65/15, 225/55/16, 235/45/17.

If your speedo is out with your stock 215/60/16, I wouldn't be surprised if it is corrected when you go to the 235/45/17's.

Give it a try before you spend the $$$ though.

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
Mr GTHO said:
There is a guy in Revesby, NSW that has a 'black box' to handle recalibrations. Forgot his address but IIV8II might remember.
Yep; don't have details tonite - will get tomorrow. It's a place in Silverwater and they calibrate cop cars. I'm sure they have a interceptor box jobbie that 'alters' the speedo

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
IIV8II said:

Yep; don't have details tonite - will get tomorrow. It's a place in Silverwater and they calibrate cop cars. I'm sure they have a interceptor box jobbie that 'alters' the speedo
Found it. Auto Probe. 24B Hampstead Rd Auburn NSW. ph 9748 8833. Worth a try I spose

·
A Ford Guy
68 Posts
Try a new speedo drive gear.

You may want to try an easier way and change your speedometer drive gear. There are 3 used on the AUII Falcons.

6 Cyl. Sedan Auto's (non LSD) with a 3.08:1 diff have a brown 20 tooth gear
8 Cyl. and 6 Cyl. Auto with a 3.23:1 diff have a light green 21 tooth gear
XR's, both auto and manual have a 3.45:1 diff and use a grey 22 tooth gear

If you go from 20 to 21 teeth that'll decrease your speedo reading by 5%, from 20 to 22 will decrease it by 10% and from 21 to 22 will decrease it by 4.8%. Not exactly your 6.7% that you wanted but it could help.

How are you checking your speedo accuracy? I find the best way is to use a hand held GPS unit that gives a speed readout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts