1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folk...
workin on a 1964 falcon...2dr...
wonderin about an engine build...
i want a small block..but everyone says not to go 302's...cuz i was thinkin a 330 or a 347...with thoughts of turbo charging later....

n e suggestions on a good motor?

·
Registered
868 Posts
both the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland won't fit as well in a 1964 Falcon as the smaller size Windsors,and would require considerable more effort and cost in my opinion.As far as converting a 302 Windsor to a 347 goes...it just depends on how fast you want to go,and how much you have to spend.I would'nt bother with a stroker kit for a 302 Windsor unless I was looking for over around 350 horsepower at the flywheel,as anything under that could be achieved on a reasonable budget without a stroker kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was planning on doing an independent front suspension conversion for the falcon...and that would open up the engine bay for a caterpillar engine if i needed...its not so much that...
as just needing a good base...
i wanna build power...thats for sure...any thing i could build cheap with around 350 hp would be great cuz i plan on turbocharging it in the near future...

as far as the 302/347 goes...you can buy shortblocks for about a grand.maybe a bit more...but thats pretty inexpensive in my opinion for a stroker kit...
but still any help would be great

thanks so far

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you twin-turbo charge a 302 Windsor and run an inter-cooler you will probably get way more than enough power.if you do so,then you will have to build a low compression engine and consult with a turbo expert to figure required compression ratio and amount of boost(psi) you will be running pryor to engine build.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds about right...id have to consult an expert just to get one built anyhow...they offer turb and twin tubro kit for 5.0 302's but nto carb apps...
you think a fairly stock 302 with the right inards would be able to hold twin turbo's?

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you get standard 302 Windsor rods and have them resized,and shot-peened along with ARP rod bolts,plus have it all balanced...it will take a considerable amount of abuse.I would also recommend some crank work...a machine shop will give you recommendations on what to do to a stock crank to handle high performance.Hypereutectic pistons will be okay under about 500 horsepower,so go for forged if you will be above that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts