Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 crown vic lx, whenever I get to certain speeds within 20mph or less. I push the gas slowly, but sometimes it feels like it skips when accelerating. I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, new egr gasket, New engine oil (5W-20), New oil filter, New battery, New air filter, Cleaned throttle body. Any ideas on what could be occurring?

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Couple of possibilities, top two I can think of would be a small vacuum leak or catalytic converters beginning to foul.Minor fouling of the cats is difficult to prove, but your vacuum lines are cheap. If they are much over 5 years old, might be time to replace them.

Also on the list:carbon build up on valve or their seats, which will show through a compression test, a fuel regulator on it's way out the door or the fuel filter. Given the age the vehicle, the engine may be tired and need a refresh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of possibilities, top two I can think of would be a small vacuum leak or catalytic converters beginning to foul.Minor fouling of the cats is difficult to prove, but your vacuum lines are cheap. If they are much over 5 years old, might be time to replace them.

Also on the list:carbon build up on valve or their seats, which will show through a compression test, a fuel regulator on it's way out the door or the fuel filter. Given the age the vehicle, the engine may be tired and need a refresh.
I cleaned the egr valve, and replaced the fuel filter with a brand new one. Also, i don't have a compression tester but when i took off the egr valve it was kinda crusty with carbon on the inside. When I pulled out the pcv valve and looked at the piston head it seemed to just be pure black (I don't have a camera to look down but from the naked eye it looks pretty built up). Gonna try to find vacuum lines, an see what i can do and let you know from their :) . Appreciate the help as always.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Also which vacuum lines?

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
All of them. Typically, if you get 10 years out of vacuum lines, yo probably got lucky, or you didn't drive much and kept it in a controlled environment. The rubber can have micro cracks that, alone doesn't really affect you much, but combined, can cause problems. Also, a new PCV generally goes for under 10 bucks, replace that as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of them. Typically, if you get 10 years out of vacuum lines, yo probably got lucky, or you didn't drive much and kept it in a controlled environment. The rubber can have micro cracks that, alone doesn't really affect you much, but combined, can cause problems. Also, a new PCV generally goes for under 10 bucks, replace that as well.
Already replace the pcv valve. i don't know the locations of the vacuum lines on the '97 crown vic any help?

·
Super Moderator
8,886 Posts
Of the top of my head, no. The vacuum lines are generally made of rubber, they eventually lead back to the intake manifold and land on the PCV, the EGR, the brake booster, through the dash to your HVAC, among other things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 1986 Vic and had a similar problem. Found out, after many things and over a year, that the relay for the fuel pump had a loose prong on the bottom of the relay. This would cause the pump to go on and off just for a moment. I'd swap the fuel pump relay with any similar one in the box and see. Who knows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1997 crown vic lx, whenever I get to certain speeds within 20mph or less. I push the gas slowly, but sometimes it feels like it skips when accelerating. I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, new egr gasket, New engine oil (5W-20), New oil filter, New battery, New air filter, Cleaned throttle body. Any ideas on what could be occurring?
Did you replace the two coil packs?

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Low speed moderate throttle misses are usually a sign of plug misfires. I know that you replaced the plugs and wires, but did you use plug wires with new boots and springs? What brand plug wires did you use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Low speed moderate throttle misses are usually a sign of plug misfires. I know that you replaced the plugs and wires, but did you use plug wires with new boots and springs? What brand plug wires did you use?
I used omnispark because I was told they’re the same basically as acdelco and cheaper . I made sure each wire is connected properly and made sure to verify I put each wire correctly .

·
Super Moderator
21,411 Posts
A lot of bad reviews of those plug leads on different car forums , an example here

#3 Feb 17, 2010

those omni wires are crap the plugs get loose and fall off and sometimes they just pop out.. but if your low on funds go ahead and get them as temps but inspect the sockets and tips before you buy them...i worked at oriellys and 8/10 sets were crap

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of bad reviews of those plug leads on different car forums , an example here

#3 Feb 17, 2010

those omni wires are crap the plugs get loose and fall off and sometimes they just pop out.. but if your low on funds go ahead and get them as temps but inspect the sockets and tips before you buy them...i worked at oriellys and 8/10 sets were crap
Should i just return those omniplugs and get the ac delco ones instead? Trying to get something that'll last me a little while.

·
Super Moderator
21,411 Posts
Often false economy buying cheaper parts , better returning them if you can , AC delco are better .

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
I use parts engineered for Ford by Ford because I got tired of replacing parts twice. But AC Delco are also a good choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts