Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I own a craig lownes xr8 recently the car has been cutting out when I put my foot down I've noticed a decrease in power and rough idle .
Does anyone have any idea what it could be . It's like it's starving for fuel .

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
Also check for manifold vacuum leaks. Noting it's best to use a length of windscreen washer sized hose with one end in, or close, to the ear canal to listen for the no mistaking tell-tale sucking noise of a vacuum leak while poking around the manifold at idle (with engine both cold and hot as the gap between the head and the manifold changes as if it's a leaking inlet manifold gasket the metal in the manifold and head expands and shrinks with heat and cooling). The old pre-computerised fuel injection trick of using/spraying engine start sprays, benzene , water, oil etc around the manifold will most often not work to find these leaks as the ECU rapidly adjust for the change in air in the mixture and it's hard to pick up any change in the engine noise or rpms using this old method. As it often at the lowest point of the inlet gasket that burns out creating the vacuum leak, you are also fighting gravity with any gases or fluid sprayed around just falling to the ground rather than being sucked in where the small piece of gasket has bunt through.

Also check the catalytic converters have not been squashed or otherwise blocked or damaged. If it's doing it while cornering check the power steering switch has not failed.

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also check for fault codes your car may well be able to tell you what is wrong with it. A windows version of Forscan Download FORScan and a suitable USB adapter (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094Z7PBLS or OBDLink® EX - OBD2 Adapter For ELM327 & FORScan ) or an ELM327 with a Ford Switch (eg. Forscan ELM327 OBDII Code Reader USB modified HS-CAN MS-CAN Switch For Ford AU 625678147781 | eBay ) is a good way to do this.
Thank you very much I'll have a look now and let you know 🤝

1 - 8 of 8 Posts