Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I let my car (1931 A) sit too long without starting it and now it seem like the engine is froze.

Its still up on jacks.

Need some ideas to break it loose.

tia

cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,188 Posts
How long did you let it sit ? 20 years? You might have a problem. A normally run engine can
sit for at least 10 years without seizing. If it is rust seized you might have a problem. If
it is chemically seized buy a new engine. If the engine will only turn 1/4 turn it is a valve
seizure. If the engine will not turn at all it is a piston seizure.

·
248 Posts
this some times works removethe spark plugs and soak the pistons with some deisel and kero mixed to gether poured down the plug holes.Leave it for a week and see if it will turn over without the plugs.

Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's seized less than a year.

I pulled the head and have trans fluid sitting on top the pistons.

Can crank it at all.

Took it off the stands.

What can I do to try and break it loose.

Maybe roll it and throw it in gear???

tia

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
That picture of bores from underneath looks really bad . You should try and clear some of the rust off with fine emery to at least give it a chance if you do get some movement on engine . Also try plenty releasing / penetrating oil down bores instead of ATF . Looks like your going to be busy with that engine .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the pistons and I can turn the Crank easily, 2 valves are sticking.

Saw a damaged sleeve on number 2 (photo).

Can the block be pulled without the trans?

It's just been so long since I worked on this car.

Engine was a complete rebuild with 4000 on the clock.

tia

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
Some amount of rust , even the core plugs in block look knackered .Need to get those valves / seats / guides checked out also . Cant help you on whether " Can the block be pulled without the trans? " or not , but sure someone on forum will be along to advise later .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some amount of rust , even the core plugs in block look knackered .Need to get those valves / seats / guides checked out also . Cant help you on whether " Can the block be pulled without the trans? " or not , but sure someone on forum will be along to advise later .

Yes, engine pulled without the trans.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts