Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

and happy new year!

Took the Volvo 740 Estate 2ltr 1990 (G reg in the UK)for it's MOT last
weekend. Suffice to say, it sailed through with no problems at all.

The day before the MOT the engine idle was a bit rough to the extent that it
would drop to around 300rpm(ish) and then stall. A quick squirt of carb
cleaner and a cloud of smoke later, the idle leveled at 750-800rpm(ish), the
power came back and the white smoke that was coming out of the exhaust
cleared.

Now I have been left with an interesting problem. If I keep the revs below
3000rpm the engine will return to an idle of 750-800rpm. If I go above
3000rpm the engine will idle at 1500 rpm and stay the same until I turn the
engine off. This is making breaking very interesting indeed.

I've tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for an hour or so
but this hasn't helped.

Could any one offer any advice?

Many thanks,

Richard
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Ricardo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all,
>
> and happy new year!
>
> Took the Volvo 740 Estate 2ltr 1990 (G reg in the UK)for it's MOT last
> weekend. Suffice to say, it sailed through with no problems at all.
>
> The day before the MOT the engine idle was a bit rough to the extent that

it
> would drop to around 300rpm(ish) and then stall. A quick squirt of carb
> cleaner and a cloud of smoke later, the idle leveled at 750-800rpm(ish),

the
> power came back and the white smoke that was coming out of the exhaust
> cleared.
>
> Now I have been left with an interesting problem. If I keep the revs below
> 3000rpm the engine will return to an idle of 750-800rpm. If I go above
> 3000rpm the engine will idle at 1500 rpm and stay the same until I turn

the
> engine off. This is making breaking very interesting indeed.
>
> I've tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for an hour or

so
> but this hasn't helped.


Throttle switch is knackered?

Tim..
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IRT "Throttle switch is knackered?"

Oh! Is that going to be expensive?
Also, could a reletive amature fix it?

Thanks,

Richard

"Tim (remove obvious)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
>
> "Ricardo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi all,
>>
>> and happy new year!
>>
>> Took the Volvo 740 Estate 2ltr 1990 (G reg in the UK)for it's MOT last
>> weekend. Suffice to say, it sailed through with no problems at all.
>>
>> The day before the MOT the engine idle was a bit rough to the extent that

> it
>> would drop to around 300rpm(ish) and then stall. A quick squirt of carb
>> cleaner and a cloud of smoke later, the idle leveled at 750-800rpm(ish),

> the
>> power came back and the white smoke that was coming out of the exhaust
>> cleared.
>>
>> Now I have been left with an interesting problem. If I keep the revs
>> below
>> 3000rpm the engine will return to an idle of 750-800rpm. If I go above
>> 3000rpm the engine will idle at 1500 rpm and stay the same until I turn

> the
>> engine off. This is making breaking very interesting indeed.
>>
>> I've tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for an hour or

> so
>> but this hasn't helped.

>
> Throttle switch is knackered?
>
> Tim..
>
>
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Ricardo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> IRT "Throttle switch is knackered?"
>
> Oh! Is that going to be expensive?
> Also, could a reletive amature fix it?
>


You dont mention which engine you have, we ought to start there, but yes,
the TPS is a bolt-on + wiring plug job.

However, i would want to test it first to make sure that is the culprit.

tim..
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is a B200F

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how I get on.

Richard

"Tim (remove obvious)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
>
> "Ricardo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> IRT "Throttle switch is knackered?"
>>
>> Oh! Is that going to be expensive?
>> Also, could a reletive amature fix it?
>>

>
> You dont mention which engine you have, we ought to start there, but yes,
> the TPS is a bolt-on + wiring plug job.
>
> However, i would want to test it first to make sure that is the culprit.
>
> tim..
>
>
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
1 Participant
Ricardo
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top