Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Screw hyundai.get a mitsu
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, had my corsair ghia for 6 months now, over this time we've replaced 2 tappets, she also chews through heaps of oil, and i mean heaps, she has no oil leaks but doesn't seem to blow it out of the tail pipe even at high accelration, any one know why shes chewing so much? Also other tappet has gone on an intake valve now, but i'm not sure if its the cause for the car always dropping onto 3 cylinders .

Soo...
1. Why it chew so much oil?

2. Tappet the cause of dropping onto 3 cylinders

3. do i just go buy another $1500 car?
all help be great.
Fte

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
Hmmmm tappets are common in these cars. My TX5 (which i think share the same engine?) also used up a fair bit of oil. In my case, the problem was bad valve oil seals and guides. Are you sure its your tappets coz bad seals/seats/guides can make a slight tapping sound too. As for running on 3 cylinders... try checking your injectors. mine had badly corroded connectors which would loose contact sometimes.

Brent

·
wants a manual!
1,461 Posts
1. as brent79 said valve seals is all i can think of or you rings are stuffed.

2. spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap????

3. you could get the head recoed but it will cost nearly as much as the car is worth if you dont fit it. and you can only hope that that is where the problem lies.

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i replaced all the spark plugs hoping it be that, its kind of worked doesn't drop out as much, but i do think its the tappet because the valve is staying closed and no mix is going in then when igniting theres nothin there, The Tx5 i think had a 2.2 the corsair is a 2.4 nissan engine

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Is the plug oiling up? Then I'd guess its a bad valve stem seal or bad/ broken rings.Fit a hotter plug & check leads etc and do compression test..Don't spend too much though either another car or Jap import/ local engine's are not that expensive...Depends what you can do youself ???

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plugs wern't oily, so me not so sure whats up, maybe i'll just go roll it off a cliff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts