Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im helping a friend to rebuild his motor I have not rebuilt a Crossflow 6 cylinder from the 1988 - 1992 era
Im looking for tips on any quirks that this model engine had regarding a full rebuild , The heads been rebuilt already , cranks been ground and blocks been bored and honed , new cam bearings and other related internal parts are all packed in a box - so its clean up and measure up time
Any help or links to info on clearances for bearings , piston to wall , ring gaps much appreciated
Its a stock rebuild for a petrol / gas motor in a workhorse
Australian Ford Falcon 1990 panel van

·
Super Moderator
4,079 Posts
The last 4.1 Liter carburetor engine in a Falcon Sedan was in the XF in 1988. The EA sedan that came out in 1988 to replace it was a 3.2 and 3.9 Liter fuel injected engine. The CFI version of this engine had a centrally placed throttle bodied fuel injection system that looked like a carburretor but wasn't one. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(EA) etc. What is it exactly you are rebuilding? Is it a van or utility XF that ran the old 4.1 carburetor engine for a bit longer? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XF)

Edit: oops I see you said it was a van; I missed that in my first read. The biggest issue with these engines now is the difficulty getting parts for the various accessories like fuel pumps and carburetors. The engine's biggest weakness was corrosion of the head and often associated head gasket failure but it sounds like that's been dealt with already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last 4.1 Liter carburetor engine in a Falcon Sedan was in the XF in 1988. The EA sedan that came out in 1988 to replace it was a 3.2 and 3.9 Liter fuel injected engine. The CFI version of this engine had a centrally placed throttle bodied fuel injection system that looked like a carburretor but wasn't one. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(EA) etc. What is it exactly you are rebuilding? Is it a van or utility XF that ran the old 4.1 carburetor engine for a bit longer? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XF)

Edit: oops I see you said it was a van; I missed that in my first read. The biggest issue with these engines now is the difficulty getting parts for the various accessories like fuel pumps and carburetors. The engine's biggest weakness was corrosion of the head and often associated head gasket failure but it sounds like that's been dealt with already.
Yes its the old 4.1 carby motor in a panelvan I am fairly sure its the XF model - to be honest its a bit of a mongrel to me , someone shoehorned the bits to try and make it look like a fairlane front which according to the owner was how it left the factory and only a few were ordered that way ?? I have seen the zip ties holding grills and headlights so I have my doubts about its factory ordered status but all that aside I have been lined up to help do the engine rebuild , I rebuilt motors about 30 years or so ago , back then crossflows were new and not really on the bench for machining where I worked then and anyone modifying motors turned to V8s ( 302 351 Clevos ) so my experience with rebuilds is ok but not familiar with these xflow sixes .Seems very hard to find info on the internet these days , pages of adverts and sponsors pop up but no real useful info as far as rebuilding the 6 cylinder , I did suggest going for a later model engine but he wants to retain numbers matching , mmm ? shes a work horse and shes a tired one at that but to each their own , Im just trying to help a mate on a low budget

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this info on this site - hope its ok to post a link to the info , internets all about sharing info isnt it ?
Admin delete if its not ok I am new and learning the rules
Ford crossflow 200, 250 Aussie engine alloy head engine | Hot Sixes 6 Cylinder Engine Information the 6 cylinder encyclopedia - Part 2

There have been a few changes made with the casting of ford 6 cylinder crossflow engine blocks
76DA,
78DA,
80DA,
83DA,
84DA,
86DA,
87DA.
The 76DA was a cast iron cylinder head cross flow engine
The cast iron cylinder head crossflow engine uses the rope rear main seal that is also used in the 200 & 250 cubic inch engine in the United States of America, The Australian produced cast iron & aluminum cylinder head will not interchange with the Ford 240 or 300 cubic inch big six.
The 80DA cylinder heads were Honda alloy crossflow cylinder heads with a smaller combustion chamber that results in a higher compression ratio.
Head gasket failure can happen if an anti corrosion inhibitor is not used.
The Alloy II Head engine was available in mid 1982
After 1983, all Alloy Head II and EFI Falcon XE’s got blocks with the 83DA code, the first block without a drill hole for the Cortina dipstick.
The rear main seal was still the rope seal, and the engine had a new HF5 cylinder head with cut-outs for the EFI injectors, even if the carby was still found in the base model.
There were some other changes that justified the 83DA label, possibly to allow the EFI.
Valve sizes were the same as the first Alloy Head XD and XE engines.
There is still a boss for the rear mount Cortina dip stick, under the 83da-6015-AA part number.
The 84DA had A neoprene 1 piece rear main seal.
The 87DA engine block can run the late 1987 3.9L & 4.0L over head cam engine crankshafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts