Ford Forums banner

Engine Ticking Noise on cold start and Idle

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6L DOHC V8 AWD

For the last year or so this car has made a ticking sound on startup particularly on cold days. Its while the engine idles and would go away as engine warmed up. Lately with the cold weather here in Chicago it is even more noticeable and as engine warms it gets quieter but not completely gone away. The ticking varies with RPMs and seems to go away at higher RPMs.

I've probed around with a stethoscope and hose trying to find the source. I even took off the serpentine belt and ran it briefly to see if it was belt related. It wasn't so this would seem to rule out alternator. AC Compressor, PS pump and idler/tensioners.

I've heard about broken exhaust studs being a common problem but the sound is like metal tapping noise not the thud or rumble I would expect from an exhaust leak. My hose listening didn't pinpoint a leak but in fairness it was hard to be thorough given limited access to exhaust manifolds.

My initial thought was a sticky lifter but I've tried a couple of valve "potions" in the oil to no effect.

So I don't know if I have a bad lifter, broken exhaust manifold studs, or some problem with the timing chain and guides.

Sound familiar to any of you? Any suggestions appreciated.

:frown2:

See less See more
#4 ·
No. The 3v's tick because of the cam phasers but the 4v's dont have them. Since its related to temperature Im guessing its oil related. What weight oil are you using? Its very common for the lash adjustors to go bad on mod motors but they normally cause a tick as startup and while driving to an extent. Can you datalog? Most likely if you had an exhaust leak you would be throwing a lean code or at the very least would notice poor fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.