Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Probe Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 Probe engine valve is ticking. I was told that they can be adjusted. Can anyone tell me how to adjust them? the engine is 4 cylinders, 32 valves, 78,000 miles, automatic.
Thanks.

·
Probe Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the URL

MonkeyEvil,
Thank you for the URL to the Ford Index in Maintenance. I will try to replace the oil before replacing the pump.

·
Probe SE Member
7 Posts
No Problem.

I'm using Mobil1 5w30 and a Napa Gold oil filter. I find this maskes the problem for a while, but there is no real solution other then buying the revised pump for $230 from Ford or Mazda.

If you replace the pump quick enough you may save your HLAs, as the oil pump and ticky ticky tend to make a mess of them.

Good Luck.

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
Hey, I agree with LiQuIdSEMTX. I was a bit confused when you said a 32v 4 cylinder........if they made a such thing......I would like to see it! That would mean that each cylinder has EIGHT valves......very interesting.....

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
I have the same problem and thats what someone told me is wrong... Does it only click when its in idle and speeds up when you hit the throttle, but goes away after a while. Ive had this problem for years and I took the car to a dealership for warranty work and they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it supposedly (of course now its not under warranty... assholes).

·
97 Probe SE
66 Posts
My valve ticking is really starting to make me mad.......it comes and goes, for NO APPARENT reason! Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but there are NO patterns of when it does, how long, or where!

Never ceasing to amzae me......my 97 Probe......the 8th wonder of the world......

·
Probe Owner
475 Posts
youve got a mustang or a probe??.. i have never seen a 32 valve 4 cylinder probe..:crazy1: :dead:

M

·
0 Posts
My Probe is a 93 with 107K and it only ticks when I dont get a oil at 3,000 miles. My car was ticking real bad last week because I had gone about 4500 miles without an oil charge. As soon as I got the oil changed it stop ticking.

·
Moderator/founder NCPOC
73 Posts
if any one wants to get this pump corksport can get it from mazda for $198 now this is the cheapest I have seen it I mean Ford want 245 for and the mazda dealer ship here want 280 for it so call corksport on this if you want it I am sure it is cheaper then body else dealer ship.

·
Probe SE Member
15 Posts
my car has been doing the same thing. i recently switched to synthetic oil (castrol syntec), and it has helped a little. it ticks less. oh, and what are the HLAs?

·
Forgotten
65 Posts
HLA - hydraulic lifter assembly.

They're your lifters, and to the person asking about adjusting them : you can't adjust the backlash on hydraulic lifters.

They fill up with oil (like balloons) and ride the lobes of the camshafts, and the ticking is heard whenever they don't completely fill with oil.
Instead of riding the lobes, they slap up against them, causing the ticking.

Synthetic oil helps, and so do "oil flushes" with kerosene or bottled oil flush additives. The flushes clean the pathways to the lifters, and the synthetic keeps from leaving as much gunk to block them up again. Thus, better oil flow.
An oil filter with an "anti-drainback" valve helps as well so that the oil can reach the top of the engine faster (where the lifters are) on cold start ups.

Some people have problems, so don't.
The only permanent solution is the revised oil pump previously mentioned, but changing oil & filters solves the problem for some, provided you stay with that regime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts