Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the engine rebiuld once and am now looking at another one. I would like to hear from other gt or gtp owners who have had the same problem. I am using about 1Lt per 1000 ks again. Here we go again,back on 1000ks oil watch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What happened after the first rebuild did you run the car on the dyno to see if you lost kw.
How many k's have you on the new engine.
What are ford saying about the modifications verses warranty.
Are they aware it has been used on the track.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
kms since the rebuild???? I still reckon you need to give the engine at least 7-10 thousand kays to settle in. Mine chewed oil up to around 5-6000 km.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Im staying right out of this one........

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
sbutler said:
Im staying right out of this one........
LOL.

As AP says, a few more ks might help.......I couldn't see Ford knocking it back from the warranty point of veiw considering it is a ongoing problem with some cars..... Although from memory this car has had some sort of chip work as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
rod c said:
LOL.

As AP says, a few more ks might help.......I couldn't see Ford knocking it back from the warranty point of veiw considering it is a ongoing problem with some cars..... Although from memory this car has had some sort of chip work as well.
It says in his specs he has a tsi module.Isnt that similar to a unichip?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like the dealer your using have not got a clue what they are doing!
a freshly rebuilt motor WILL use oil for the first 5,000k's and should have mineral oil installed.

Elmer Fudd

·
Registered
118 Posts
BOSSGT said:
Sounds like the dealer your using have not got a clue what they are doing!
a freshly rebuilt motor WILL use oil for the first 5,000k's and should have mineral oil installed.

Elmer Fudd
So all new GT/GTP come with mineral oil from the factory?

·
In Pursuit of excellence
855 Posts
I was always told never to run a motor in on synthetic or friction modified oils.
But that was a while ago. On my oil filler cap it says" factory fill Mobil1 ".
Would that make the rings not bed in properly ?
Can some one clarify that or is it an old wives tail ?

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Gambit said:
Cmon steve you know you want to.
Not a chance mate Ill let the rebulids speak for themselves
See ya sunday

·
Registered
82 Posts
cams290 said:
I was always told never to run a motor in on synthetic or friction modified oils.
But that was a while ago. On my oil filler cap it says" factory fill Mobil1 ".
Would that make the rings not bed in properly ?
Can some one clarify that or is it an old wives tail ?

Cams290, there have been other threads on this issue around May 2003 onwards. I took particular interest in them because my GT wasn't far off delivery. In addition to this I rang or e-mailed all the main oil companies and asked for recommendations on what oil to run the motor in on. To cut a long story short I decided to use the factory recommended fill. The main reason being, that if something went wrong, my warranty could not be voided. A point made several times was that these quad cam motors require a thin oil to lubricate properly, especially whilst cold, and a mineral oil was too thick to do this. I remember there being a diversity of opinion on this forum which reinforced my decision to go with the factory fill.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm pretty sure that FPV would like the engines to cover 10,000 kms before completing oil consumption tests as I think they are finding that the excessive consumption stops.

·
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS
421 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
kms since the rebuild???? I still reckon you need to give the engine at least 7-10 thousand kays to settle in. Mine chewed oil up to around 5-6000 km.
then ran out of oil ? problem solved

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Charliewool said:
LOL... Go on.... Your dying to comment? :meteo2:
and he did Charlie

·
BSR Driver #3 - Team ADD
501 Posts
Should i???????????????

Nah not today.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nah

Simon

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fair comments boys. Firstly the rebiult motor has done 12000 ks. Secondly this car has not been on the race track since the rebiuld. As for using synthetic oil against mineral oil, FPV says to us castrol 0W20 as per the specs. In my opinion mineral oil would be the choice to run in a new motor. As for the dealer not having a clue what they are doing, this is unjust, the dealer has no say as to what to do with the motor. All they can do is report back to FPV what they are seeing.
Received a phone cal from FPV yesterday explaining what they want to do. FPV will be replacing my rebiult motor with a new motor. They will stamp it with the same numbers as the original one. They will then use the rebiult motor for testing to see why some of these BOSS 290,s are using oil. All I can say is well done FPV. There is a problem and they are prepared to fix it with no fuss. My faith in FORD is as strong as ever. The lesson here is to talk to them not just bash them. FPV have a great car and are backing it up with even better after sales support. Once again well done FPV. I am looking forward to my GTP being back on the road soon

·
Registered
610 Posts
GTP193 said:
Fair comments boys. Firstly the rebiult motor has done 12000 ks. Secondly this car has not been on the race track since the rebiuld. As for using synthetic oil against mineral oil, FPV says to us castrol 0W20 as per the specs. In my opinion mineral oil would be the choice to run in a new motor. As for the dealer not having a clue what they are doing, this is unjust, the dealer has no say as to what to do with the motor. All they can do is report back to FPV what they are seeing.
Received a phone cal from FPV yesterday explaining what they want to do. FPV will be replacing my rebiult motor with a new motor. They will stamp it with the same numbers as the original one. They will then use the rebiult motor for testing to see why some of these BOSS 290,s are using oil. All I can say is well done FPV. There is a problem and they are prepared to fix it with no fuss. My faith in FORD is as strong as ever. The lesson here is to talk to them not just bash them. FPV have a great car and are backing it up with even better after sales support. Once again well done FPV. I am looking forward to my GTP being back on the road soon
Well said. Mine has 10000k on it know and is consuming oil at a great rate. Now that you have said what they are prepared to do, it will be very interesting what line they take with me, as I dont believe a rebuilt engine is good enough for what we pay for these cars, 70+ k. I will not except anything less than a new one. My car is still on oil watch and is driving me insane, as I do have to watch the ks I do and watch the oil as not to run it too low. I do hope that FPV are as good as you say they are, as some of us are more vocal than others when it comes to certain issues. For me I love this car, it looks tough and is tough, but I still cant believe ive spent 70k (first time ive been able to AFFORD) on a car like this and to have such a major problem like this with a vechicle, time will tell.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
i have done 12,000 kms in my ute changed the oil & filter @ 3000 Kms & refilled with Mobil 0W-40 & then again @ 7,500Kms ihave driven my car thae same from day one to know with not having to top it up at all

my car is an early build & was built in the later half of the first hundred cars built, it was filled with Mobil 0W-40 from F.P.V. & i have & will continue to use this oil for as long as i have the car

most people that know me know how i drive my car & it is like that every day, it is of my belife that these engines are built loose & some may consume oil if you want to pussy foot :zzz: around in them they will continue to burn it

most race car & hi-po engines are built this way & i have never seen any of these engines run in by pussy footing :zzz: it around

for those guys that are having oil problems & are still pussy footing :zzz: around send your car over here for a friday night & i will bed it all in nice & snug just like henery wanted :AAHHH: :AAHHH: :AAHHH:

regards
rod

1 - 20 of 64 Posts