Ford Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been getting about 12.3- 12.5 in town, by not stomping it too much on take off, and being a little more conservative in my driving overall.

·
canuck
2,493 Posts
I've been looking around at the Excursions lately. Used market is ripe with them as gas prices have gone up. As I've driven and owned a fair share of V8 engines of various displacements I can imagine if you drive sedately enough and keep speed at 60mph or below you should get 16mpg with the V10. I get 18.3mpg at 55mph with my Durango V8 and 3.92 axle. It has a few mods that increase top end power and midrange torque. Offroading I'm lucky to get 7-8mpg.

Still, if you drive sedately for the most part and need the space, the V10 would be the better bargain for sure. It will net low mileage around town as stated above, but considering the engine is 6.8L (415ci), that's not too shabby considering GM at the time had their 7.4L, 454 cube monster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have a 2000with the v10 with 80k. i get around 13 in the city and im 20 years old and do not have a light foot. i have never had any problems with it either except a blown taillight. great truck. highly recomended. if your worried about gas mileage you shouldnt buy it. if it bothers you that much go buy a little suv or a minivan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 V10 2wd Excursion with 89k. On the highway towing an empty 18ft car trailer I average 14 mpg at 65 mph. With the trailer loaded (67 Caddly Fleetwood) my mileage dropped to around 11 mpg at 60 - 65. Around town I get 12 - 14 depending on how aggressive I am with the gas pedal. The V10 will get up and move but you will definitely pay the price in gas. With any big SUV or vehicle your better off with the larger motor, it doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller V8's.

Check out my CarDomain - The place to show off your car pictures and photos page (user ltdpi460) for pics of my Excursion and car collection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw a beautiful used excursion yesterday for 14K-- 2000 V10 model, loaded
with all of the extras.

Guys-- how much MPG is thing gonna get-- 10; maybe.
If it had ALL the extras, it would come with a 7.3

suburbans suck just as much fuel as a V-10 excursion.

replacing the 460 with the V-10 was one of fords worst decisions.....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts