Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5'' exhaust system with one muffler and no resonator on my mpfi 3.9l ea. I want it louder, what would happen if i was to get the muffler removed and a pipe put in place of it? I dont have extractors at the moment but will be getting some soon. How much of a differance will it make and what kind of a differance is it stupid etc???

·
Formerly: SmokeEA
1,117 Posts
No muffler = too loud = illegal :nonono:
Exchanging mufflers will work, as will getting a resonator,
with extractors you may a difference for the better aswell.
But dont get rid of your muffler.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
I was in the same boat not so long ago - the exhaust was good, but it was just lacking that real presence. I intended to pull out the rear resonator, and replace it with a hot dawg.

But after thinking about it (and being too cheap to shell out the $ to do it), I decided it was loud enough. Lemme guess - when you're drivin it it sounds just like the normal one, you can barely hear it right? Get out of the car while its idling, and walk about 20-30m away, and you'll probably still hear it. I got a mate to use my digital camera while I went past him, just so I record the note, and it sounds plenty loud enough and mean enough for my liking, even though from inside the car you can barely hear it.

Just my opinion, but I wouldnt worry about it. As has already been said, if it's too loud you can land yourself in all sorts of trouble, and get unwanted attention. That, and drone will send you spastic.

Btw, if you wanna see + hear my car, I have an MPEG here (its only 1.36MB), so if someone can host it I'll be happy to send it. I don't have extractors either, just a catback.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
No muffler will annoy the hell out of you once you hit the highway. My mate at college has a single straight through muffler 2 1/2" on his ute, and you can't talk to the person next to you. Oh yeah, he's a holden owner, go figure :fool:

Donno

·
Normal Temp. Falcon!!!
91 Posts
I have a standard 2" system, with a sports muffler and no resonator on my XF, and sounds good, can hardly hear it from inside the cabin, but has nice note to it outside, also has a nice crackle when droping from high revs... hopefully soon to be getting extractors and full exhaust. But please dont be like some bloody VL drivers and hollow out your cat... its not worth the bloody risk

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
what about if u have 2 mufflers and i want to get a hot dog replacing the rear muffler but leave the muffler in the middle... would it sound nicer without the drone??? Has anyone tried this?

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
You could try extractors and 1 straight through 2 1/2" inch if you like the sound of your car blowing rasberries, but It'll be pretty loud.

Donno

·
Registered
529 Posts
What you're better off doing is undo the exhaust from the manifold. Start the car up rev it a little and see if thats how loud you want it. Seriously some mufflers do **** all, they just change the tone a little. Don't spend the money to find out it won't get any louder.

For example for friends full exhaust Hemi 265 was louder than my GF's 250 Cortina uncorked at the extractors!!

The loudest, nice sounding mufflers are Edelbrock RPM and Flowmaster.

Its a fact you can't make it any louder but you can go quieter.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Also new decent muffler will probably be about $120.
Extractors kick in at about 270. So maybe save that little longer, unless insurance wont let ya get extrators.

BTW if its LOUD cops will hear, then see u easier. Then yellow sticker the hell outa your car coz ur a youngen... well maybe anyway :)

·
CRUISING
158 Posts
are you serious??? so u just fit a hotdog muffler but in reversed order and u get the burble? any diameter? i know i got a 2.5inch redback exhaust but the rear muffler will get replaced with a hotdog... some cheap one since i'm only a student... might even go 3inch hot dog and tip to match

·
Registered
102 Posts
lol do what i did 2.5 inch exaust from cat back with no mufflers at all and 1 single 12" hot dog omg the noise lolol used to get pulled over at leat once a week so if u want that by all means!! also if u like fire comin out ur exaust by all means!!!! and if u like that crackle noise too mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ohk so would it sound good with the 2.5'' exhaust with no mufflers and one 12'' hotdog muffler???

·
Registered
102 Posts
yhes it sounds excelent (at high revs) although i must warn u its really really loud like i got 122db at 3500rpm

·
Green's Tuff!
802 Posts
:sb:
Think about it.
What would be your first guess as to what the difference between a 12" hotdog and a smaller one.
If you want maximum loudness, and it sounds like you do, just unbolt your entire exhaust system and throw it away, you'll be just as much cop bait for doing that as if you were only running 1 hotdog in your entire exhaust. Apart from the constant yellow stickers that you WILL get for the exhaust, you'd better hope the Police don't decide to put a tick in the 'full roadworthy required' box. Oh, and you'd better invest in either a really good set of headphones (sell your stereo to finance them cos you won't be able to hear it anyway), or buy some shares in Panadol, because after the 'novelty' of having a Super Loud (and therefore it must be cool) Exhaust system the headaches will set-in and really piss you off. :rant:

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
i got a cat back system 2.5inch all the way through, mandrel bent over the diff but light press bends all the way. one muffler (tri-flow not a straight through) and it sounds great, at idle its nice and throaty, driving at 60 its a nice sound, punch it or drop into 1st at 60 (4000rpm) and it sounds tough, havent heard it properly from the outside but i will soon. get a straight through muffler if you want it to be louder, if that dont work get a straight through custom exhaust all mandrel bent, you migth loose a bit of power but it would sound sick.

Ehab

·
Registered
102 Posts
12" hotdog=$45
ummm canary for a loud exaust ??? nnonoono!!! u must be confusing them with budgies (the green stickers) lol but go for it man till u get done!! jus 4 a bit of fun jus keep ur original and u wont be up for more than $50 changing it back!! as for the noise u get used to it. u ppl talk like grandma's in relation to the noise get ova it!!! the police do tend to attract themselves to u but thats the risk u take i.e lowering or loud exaust for instance jus do it 4 some fun

1 - 20 of 20 Posts