Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exhaust do you guys recommend to get for a 1985 XF ute with a 250 carb cross flow engine? I'm after a nice deep note, something that has a nice growl, What do you guys reckon? 2.5" with a muffler and resonator?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm running a set of p'maker extractors, into an el-cheapo resinator (under drivers seat) then into a small dog-leg triple flow muffler. The whole system is 2.25 inch. Not 2.5 as alot of people suggest to do.

I really like the sounds, not drony or spluttery like the rest of the XF engines.
Maybe its because mines in an XC... don't think so.

Case.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting... any chance of a sound file? howmuch did it cost for the exhaust without the extractors? thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question, do extractors make any sound difference on these engines, are they worth getting?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes extractors change the note on these engines, yes they are worth it stock ones arent to good.

·
XD's rule
135 Posts
i have a 2.5 inch system, geni extractors into a single striaght-thru muffler just before the diff, into a biggish hot-dog at the back - it sounds good, but it drones quite a bit at ~ 2500 rpm, I think it will be quieter @ highway speeds without the hotdog...

i can grab a sound file for you sunday :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I should be able to get a soud together over the weekend.

The exhaust was from a great exhaust joint called SUN-EX Performance Exhaust. They are known for doing remus exhausts on the FORD XR8 SONY XPLOD car (the gold one).

Was about $150 with me supplying the muffler... not cheap, but no banging from diff, no rust and the sound got better the more I drove it.
No, it wasn't madrel bent, unless you've got a mild-hot engine, the exhaust gases aren't going to be hot enough to notice any difference with the slight restriction. Perhaps if you were running a high compression with tripple webers you MAY feel a difference, but sometimes you just have to face the fact that the old 250's aren't exactly power houses.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My exhuast is like XCEDs. Pacemakers and 2.5, with one large muffler. It weird how it gets loud in a certain rev range, but above and below that its a nice note and very settled at highway speed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys
I decided to go for a 2.25" piping with a Lukey muffler, it sounds pretty sweet, can feel a bit more power going up hills. I still have to get some extractors, but they'll come later down the track.
The reason I decided to go for 2.25" is because the exhaust guy suggested, plus I didnt want to lose power down low. It defintly has a nice rumble, just thinking what extractors would do...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fordmuscle_83 sounds very simular to mine, loud at certain RPM but pretty damn sweet at cruising. Does the note change at all when the exhaust wears in?

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
I had a set of genies and 2.25 pipe with a single mufler (no resonators) on my XD. Now that was a loud 4.1
Even had a mechanic insist I open the bonnet cause he didnt believe it wasnt a V8.

Mind you, at 120kph or more it was impossible to have a conversation in the car.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Fordz said:
Hey guys
I decided to go for a 2.25" piping with a Lukey muffler, it sounds pretty sweet, can feel a bit more power going up hills. I still have to get some extractors, but they'll come later down the track.
The reason I decided to go for 2.25" is because the exhaust guy suggested, plus I didnt want to lose power down low. It defintly has a nice rumble, just thinking what extractors would do...
Where did you end up getting the exhaust done??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tuggeranong, did a pretty scmick job.. didn't go over the quote price either like some other places do.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
i am gonna get a 2 1/4 inch for my xe, not getting a 2 1/2 again, too loud, and lost too much power!

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
MaD_WoG said:
i am gonna get a 2 1/4 inch for my xe, not getting a 2 1/2 again, too loud, and lost too much power!

Loud, oh yes, mine was too. As for losing power, mine certainly didnt lose any power, gained a whole heap in fact.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lose power with a 2.5'? Dont see how? My XF has got a full 2.5' exhaust, with no cat (leaded). As said above, its bloody loud - and if anything, the car pulls marginally better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts