Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but what have you guys and girls done to your exhausts systems.......which headers, mufflers, size......etc

I have got to make my new XR8 sound better......:D

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
JetHot coated Genie Extractors
2 1/2" Hiflow cats & "Y" piece into 3" pipe/muffler & tailpipe no resonator
SWWWEEEEETTT

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Mate you know what I'm gonna say don't ya..

FULL DUAL EXHAUST IS THE ONLY WAY!!! :D :thumbup:

Don't compromise. Get a good set of stainless coated headers (same size as mine, too big have adverse affects), and a decent set of mufflers, and throw away the rear resonators. Make it 2.5" dual all the way and you will be in aural heaven.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
el2xr8 said:
Mate you know what I'm gonna say don't ya..

FULL DUAL EXHAUST IS THE ONLY WAY!!! :D :thumbup:

Don't compromise. Get a good set of stainless coated headers (same size as mine, too big have adverse affects), and a decent set of mufflers, and throw away the rear resonators. Make it 2.5" dual all the way and you will be in aural heaven.
Yep i will certainly be going dual 2.5". The headers on my 200kw dont look to bad, they are not as pinched as the ones were on my Au.

I was thinking highflow cats with redback straight thru mufflers and no rear resonators.

do i go Stainless or plain old mild steel???

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi XLR8,

If you plan on keeping the car for more than 2 or 3 years go for stainless... if not just go mild.

If you want something interesting that makes a lot of noise... think about twin tips - 1 either side. I know it requires the rear bar to get a peice cut out of it - but it looks AWESOME!!

;) :p :p ;)

·
3,584 Posts
Ahemmmmmm
Whats wrong with single systems???? As far as i know single systems provide an even better scavenging effect due to the pulses being in a single pipe, straight from a custom performance exhaust joint that did my 3", looked good on the dyno also, gained heaps more power with a minimal loss in torque.. I can live with that.. Jeff Garland in belmont YOU R A WIZARD

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I have to say I have resisted Herrod's exhaust because it is a single. I am a big fan of dual all the way.

Having said that, has anyone had experience doing X-pipes on an XR8? I know Zoom did an article on X-pipes on LS1, however I don't have a copy. I was going to do my own exhaust from the 220 cats back, full 2.5 or 2.25 dual stainless, mandrels, and X-pipe. I need some data to calculate the length of the X-section so I'll surf the net and maybe someone can advise if they have the article from Zoom.

I am going to use two mufflers and a resonator - can't stand droning on the highway!

·
7,777 Posts
Back to the top.......

Any comments?

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
406 Posts
On my EB i have extractors, high flow cats and a single 3 inch system no resinators. It doesn't drown but it roars when u give it some beans. I have many people comment on the beasty sound EVEN some of my holden driving mates! I think they say 3 inch is two big on a mainly stock EB XR but i am planning to modify. I will try to get a sample of it and post if possible.

·
3,584 Posts
svo302 said:
Ahemmmmmm
Whats wrong with single systems???? As far as i know single systems provide an even better scavenging effect due to the pulses being in a single pipe, straight from a custom performance exhaust joint that did my 3", looked good on the dyno also, gained heaps more power with a minimal loss in torque.. I can live with that.. Jeff Garland in belmont YOU R A WIZARD
As I mentioned b4........ Whats wrong with a single 3"
Back to the bottom I go lol :p

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
svo302 said:

As I mentioned b4........ Whats wrong with a single 3"
Back to the bottom I go lol :p
Hi SVO... I think a single 3" is fine for all the mods you have done to your car.!!!! but most people dont do anywhere nearly as many mods.

When I get my baby supercharged I am getting a single 3":D :D :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
XR8chic said:

Hi SVO... I think a single 3" is fine for all the mods you have done to your car.!!!! but most people dont do anywhere nearly as many mods.

When I get my baby supercharged I am getting a single 3":D :D :D
A single 3in on a blown 6 would be restrictive letalone on a v8....

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone used the New Lukey straight thrus which have a mandrel bend in them??? Look a very nice unit......looks the way to go for me;)

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Martin said:

A single 3in on a blown 6 would be restrictive letalone on a v8....
You gotta remember too that an exhaust system is always a compromise. Sure you could go bigger than a 3inch, but it could be at the expense of some bottom end. Same thing applies to headers bigger equals more top end at the expense of bottom end.

G

·
The reason Fords like dual exhausts is because of the firing order basically. You have more exhaust pulses per bank per 180deg of firing than say a "boat anchor" engine.

A dual 2 1/2" with balance pipe is generally better on a Ford.
If you use a 3" tailpipe with a dual 2 1/2" ahead of it, it is actually much the same thing as dual all the way due to the fact that after the mufflers the pulses become less important to the scavenging effect.

I went from a 3" mandrel single on my 351w to a compression bend 2 1/2" dual and picked up 15hp and 24lb /ft torque.

Pete.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:
Hows this one???
LOL he must have a Pratt and Witney Jet Engine, siiiic.:p :p :p

·
7,777 Posts
XR9UTE said:
The reason Fords like dual exhausts is because of the firing order basically. You have more exhaust pulses per bank per 180deg of firing than say a "boat anchor" engine.

A dual 2 1/2" with balance pipe is generally better on a Ford.
If you use a 3" tailpipe with a dual 2 1/2" ahead of it, it is actually much the same thing as dual all the way due to the fact that after the mufflers the pulses become less important to the scavenging effect.

I went from a 3" mandrel single on my 351w to a compression bend 2 1/2" dual and picked up 15hp and 24lb /ft torque.

Pete.
Interesting. I wonder if X-pipe at 2.5 inch dual would be better than a balance pipe setup?

G

·
Aussie Pete said:

Interesting. I wonder if X-pipe at 2.5 inch dual would be better than a balance pipe setup?
From the tests Ive seen there doesn't appear to be much in it.

It seems the benefit of the X-pipe is traded off by the reduction in flow caused by the bends required to install the X-pipe.

So I would say it's probably going to vary depending on the vehicle. I suppose you could make a detachable H-pipe section from the front of the mufflers to the back of the collectors so that you could test both.

Pete.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts