Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually don't own a ford at the moment. But am interested in purchasing an EL fairmont Ghia. To my understanding they have the 4.0 witch kicks out about 157kw

I've driven one of them and it didn't have as much pickup and go then i would have expected. If i put a full exhaust system on the car (headers, muffler, 2.5' pipe) and a CAI of some form with a new filter, perhaps a K&N 360 Oval Filter.
How much more power would we be talking? would it be noticable and most of all would the power gain be woth it?

Cheers

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
The I6 EL responds very good to small exhaust and inlet changes.
Throw on some extractors and a 2.5" system.
On the inlet side, don't bother with any fancy (wanky) CAI setup as the standard air box set up flows quite well. All you need to do is fit a decent filter, whether that be a new standard, or K&N or whatever, and then grab a EF XR8 snorkel from Ford, they are around $45 and this will give you as much flow as you need.

Rick.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Proper exhaust makes a pretty big difference. Just out of curiosity, I was at Repco the other day and noticed they were selling Aunger aftermarket snorkels for EF's and EL's - These things are massive. Figured it would be way better than the SS Inductions job. Anyone know much about either of these mods? Or do you reckon an XR8 snorkel would do the job?

When it's $40 Vs $200 the aftermarket ones would want to be damn good.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Personally I feel the EF XR8 unit does the job.
My I6 is producing 161kw at the wheels with the EF snorkel.

Rick.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
XF__UTE said:
Proper exhaust makes a pretty big difference. Just out of curiosity, I was at Repco the other day and noticed they were selling Aunger aftermarket snorkels for EF's and EL's - These things are massive. Figured it would be way better than the SS Inductions job. Anyone know much about either of these mods? Or do you reckon an XR8 snorkel would do the job?

When it's $40 Vs $200 the aftermarket ones would want to be damn good.
Any pics?
Ive never seen them ones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No pics. I saw a heap of different types in Repco in Geraldton (up there for Xmas). I was looking on Aungers website the other day for more info, but it was playing up... Seriously these things are huge, Repco mostly had them for Holden's but they can get them in for Ford's they want about $350 for one for a GenIII, but it looks like it'd take up half the engine bay, even the ecotec V6 intake ($150 odd) was enormous - these are seriously big intake snorkels.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Mite try have a peak next time im near one

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
EF XR8 snokel is the same size as a EF/EL ghia snorkel. My mate has the xr8 one and i have an ef2 ghia and we compared... same snorkel...

·
Death to Camry's!
1,375 Posts
get the AU T-series snorkel. Works wonders, and is only $27 from Ford Spares... its a tight fit, but it works, and the intake is huge compared to the standard one :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
MightyEFGhia said:
get the AU T-series snorkel. Works wonders, and is only $27 from Ford Spares... its a tight fit, but it works, and the intake is huge compared to the standard one :D
Are you talking snorkel as in: Top of radiator -> airbox.. or airbox -> butterfly?

I've been told many things about the BA intake AIRBOX->Butterfly.

Cheers, Case

·
Registered
155 Posts
But there isn't a great deal of room there... My EF XR already is showing some slight rubbing from the bonnet... are they a wider rather than higher piece of equipment?

I would hate to get rid of the Tickford wings on the current snorkel.. What does the T-Series one look like?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Soxx said:
On the inlet side, don't bother with any fancy (wanky) CAI setup as the standard air box set up flows quite well. All you need to do is fit a decent filter, whether that be a new standard, or K&N or whatever, and then grab a EF XR8 snorkel from Ford, they are around $45 and this will give you as much flow as you need.

Rick.
I just put in my EF2ghia I6 a total new custom air induction setup. BA GT airbox and BA I6 piping. I just completed fitting a 100mm RAM air induction pipe to feed the box. I'll tell you what, it goes heaps harder than what it did with the standard airbox. Very noticeable difference with the setup, sounds heaps more gruntier and worth every penny IMO. I will post pics up shortly.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
MustangNicko -
I've tried similar things on a dyno and it made bugger all difference, usually you just end up with more induction noise.
My engine is far from stock too, making 161rwkw.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Soxx said:
MustangNicko -
I've tried similar things on a dyno and it made bugger all difference, usually you just end up with more induction noise.
My engine is far from stock too, making 161rwkw.

Rick.

LOL I'm using RAM air induction, it forces air into the box when the car is in motion... a car isnt in motion on a dyno is it?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
MustangNicko -
Very true, however any kind of 'ram air' system only works at speeds above around 100kph, and it has been proven that for any 'real' hp improvement you will need to be travelling in excess of 160kph.
Above 200kph, the gains can be quite large.

Rick.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts