Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have just bought an AU11 XR8 & it is way too quiet. Any suggestions on where/what/who to get???

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
G'day Ian, you lucky bastard! :)

I made my EL2 XR8 sound like it should by fitting a full dual 2.5" system with no rear resonators and hi-flow mufflers. I would have considered a single 3" system, but in mine at least, it would have to have been squashed a bit over the axle, defeating the purpose of "free flowing". I'm not sure how or if this would fit in the AU, with IRS and all.. anyone care to comment?

In any respect, you can't go wrong with a DECENT aftermarket system. Just make sure you get it done professionally, not by Dodgy Davo the local mechanic. I had mine done at Carline Granville, and the guys there really knew their stuff. I would recommend them if you're based in Sydney. All up, mine was $1400 which was for the new pipes, new mufflers, tips, and stainless genie extractors. I kept the stock cats but had them trimmed back to the pod to allow the new pipes to weld straight onto them. And as I've bored many before by saying, this resulted in a 20kW gain at the wheels, dyno proven. I won't say that you'd get the same result, but then again you wouldn't need to with 200kW already :)

Keep us up to date with what you finally decide!

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mike,

Damn - 20kw @ the wheels gain from exhaust only! Is that system emmissions legal (trimming back the cats and all)? I bet it sounded pretty meaty when you ditched the rear resonators though!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
20kW from exhaust AND extractors, and believe me, the new extractors are WAY bigger. Yeah, shouldn't pick up 20kW from exhaust alone ;-)

Sounds really nice now, lovely burble at idle and beautiful growl all the way to redline. I deliberately softened the note just a bit, so as not to get droney or plain too loud. It's a great balance of volume and note - ie. when you really get up it, it sounds great and you know all about it, but when you're driving Miss Daisy, it's pretty quiet, but nothing like stock.

As far as emissions go, it's fine since the stock cats are internally intact. The only change was lopping the extended piping off each side to allow the new pipes to go straight to the pod. Otherwise, there would have been overlap, thus reducing flow. ie. in this crappy little ascii diagram,

Before (crappy old pipe)
/----------\
== ==
\----------/

Lopping off "lip"
/----------\
| |
\----------/

After (big new nice pipe)
/----------\
-- --
-- --
\----------/

·
Registered
47 Posts
hehe thank you for your artistic masterpiece :) I am thinking of using it for my desktop wallpaper. Yeah, I did actually mean exhaust and extractors but still, 20kw gain is pretty huge. What you have done sounds like a good combination, because I would hate to have an intrusive exhaust note when I don't want it there. I want one that's subtle but meaty.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Ian,

I also own a AUII XR8 and have found it sounds better with abit of carbon build up ie; after you have a few k's on it. Having said that its never gunna sound like a fire breathing man eater, but it does sound sweet.
If all else fails, Mikes high technical schematic should help :)
BTW, if you reckon the AU isnt loud enuff, Im glad you didnt buy an SS......exhaust note similar to a Moris Minor. heheh

·
Registered
47 Posts
haha yeah what's the go with the Gen III exhaust note anyway? I heard that it was one of the major complaints from new owners. There were some meaty sounding 5.0L bombadores but most of them sounded really droney and you could pick them a mile away. Can't beat Ford's neat and meaty sounding note, because it generally doesen't give you a headache. Nothing will ever top the Clevo for the pure muscle car sound, but then the idea of using 30L/100km isn't exactly appealing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
damn straight, especially at over 104c / ltr
but then when you hear that sound when you accelerate(especially out of toll booths where it seems to echo) you know its worth it!
The really cool thing is that it sounds good inside too!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
No worries lads. I'll go dig em up. The only problem at the moment is a distinct lack of scanners... but work will be getting a lovely one soon... ;-)

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I was sick of my XR8 sounding like a vacuum cleaner choking on a pair of undies, so I got a set of genie extractors, and a 2.5" genie mandrel bent exhaust (with 1 high flow mufler).
I picked them up for $1000 at Summernats a couple of years ago.

The increase in power was VERY noticable, and the note of the exhaust is a lot better.

:)

P.S try running Shell Optimax. There is a slight pick up in performance, my car doesnt ping it's head of above 5 grand, and I get about an extra 70km's per tank !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
XR8Chic

I'm surprised that your ED XR8 would ping on normal unleaded. Do you know if the timing has been advanced from stock or have you changed it yourself? My Sprint has only ever pinged once that I can recall I put that down to dodgy fuel. It has a very similar exhaust to yours and is essentially stock otherwise.

I did use Optimax for a while and I couldn't pick a difference with it. Can't comment on the fuel economy as I never drive consistently enough to make a fair comparison. That damn right foot has a mind of its own! :)

Certainly if you get a chip then running Optimax would be of more benefit.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi Mike,

I havent done anything to the timing Myself, my BF (mechanic) did adjust it once I remember though.

Funny thing was - only pinged at about 5grand in 2nd gear. ??!!??
Dont think it was dodgy fuel - I have only even used premium, and used to fill at different places all the time.

:)

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
adjust the t.p.s to .98 volt slightly richer helps.Undo two small screws on tps.Use small drill to elongate holes on tps [throttle position sensor]You will need a good multy meter.koeo[key on engin off]Prob green wire to ground.This done with slight udvance timing over std gives heaps better throttle response.The tps Is adjustable if you make it.The secrets out now.Sorry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts