Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably disgust a few of you, but I hate the crappy sound of a standard I6 and I dont have a budget at all.
I have a 2.5" tip laying around and was just wondering what difference it would make to the sound.
I am also going to remove my resonator for now as it is stuffed and I cannot be bothered getting a new one so I will just weld in some pipe to fill the gap.
If I have to I might go and get a new muffler. What mufflers are good for I6's to give them a bit of a sleeper sound, and what cost?

Thanks guys.
Paul

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Paul

Theres a thread floating around re "thats the sound I m looking for" and it goes into exhausts etc,

Hell Man Leave the res off and you will notice a better note ten fold.

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
Actually, get what i've got on my exhaust.

Its kind of like a resonator, except its about 3.5 inches in diameter, and runs for about a foor n a half along the pipe - it makes the sweetest sound, the engine literally warbles between 2000 - 3200rpm!

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
discokin6 said:
the engine literally warbles between 2000 - 3200rpm!
I've seen those types of mufflers, my GF's Nissan Pulsar has one.

I dont want it to drone at all. It does at the moment at about 2000rpm and I hate it.

What does a larger tip actually do to the sound? does it just make it deeper or what?

T

·
0 Posts
leave the tip off....it aint worth jack ****...looks good but does nothing for the note. if you are experiencing the droning effect, thats easily fixed..

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THE DOCTOR said:
leave the tip off....it aint worth jack ****...looks good but does nothing for the note. if you are experiencing the droning effect, thats easily fixed..
I dont have the tip on at the moment, its just laying around and wondering if it will do me any good.

How is the droning easily fixed??

T

·
0 Posts
have a look under the car, see if the muffler is original or an aftermarket unit. now imagine a gas cigarette lighter on full flame, the tip of the flame is where most noise generates. now equate this to your exhaust system and from the engine back you get the idea, if you can move the mufler back by at least 2 inches you will remove the droning....and by increasing speed you will leave the droning for good. the down side is it may re-appear at the 4000-5000rpm mark. it's all maths

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the system is all original stuff...and probably well passed its used by date.

I dont want to spend much money on this thing as it is as I am saving to do an EFI 5.0 conversion later on.

I just want to get rid of the drone and get a bit better sound without big bucks

Paul.

T

·
0 Posts
(\/)ADXF said:
the system is all original stuff...and probably well passed its used by date.

I dont want to spend much money on this thing as it is as I am saving to do an EFI 5.0 conversion later on.

I just want to get rid of the drone and get a bit better sound without big bucks

Paul.
if its original its farked

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THE DOCTOR said:

if its original its farked
Whats your suggestion then?
I was thinking of picking up an exhaust system from a V8 XD/E and getting a decent muffler and maybe a res.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THE DOCTOR said:
is this for the XF..what year is it.
the bugger was built in JUN 86, just when they swapped to unleaded and new EPA regs.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I took the resonator off last night and have noticed a bit nicer sound (amongst the fan noise :) ). I also noticed a bit more power...is this possible, just from taking the res off?

Anyway I have decided that this is only a temporary measure and I would like to get a set of extractors and either 2.25 or 2.5" system.

What I want to know now is what do I do about the CAT with the new system?

Thanks heaps.
Paul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts