Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EL XR8. I have spent a bit of money on the engine (cam, pacemakers, chip, etc) and I've replaced the exhaust system (was a little rusty) from a quiet Tickford twin system to a big bore single system. The problem I have is I want to keep the noise out the back but get rid of the drone inside the car. Any clues???

·
Registered
827 Posts
G'day,
getting rid of the drone, there are a couple of things...the first being use the Tickford system( there ya go blue) the tickford system had probably millions spent on it to get it right, which you replaced with somehting an exhaust fitter said would be cool (remember exhuast fitting is not a a trade...but can be a science)

Ok, first thing i would be looking at is how the exhaust has been mounted. Does every body contact point have a proper rubber insulator?

Second is the exhaust exit point. Does it exit even slightly within the body footprint...an extension of the exit point can remove a lot of body drone.

Third is body insulation....i doubt you can improve on what has already been done(refer my first paragraph)

Lets face it, an exhaust that makes the great sound is designed to be heard...IN AND OUT! whether its actually helping your final power figure is another book.

Cheers
Jas

·
i'll never grow up
294 Posts
well theres an argument as to whether tickford got it right.. all they got right was a noise and pollution regulation the ADR require..
its no brainer that changing their exhaust definitley improves it power wise.. even the headers are MAJOR garbage.
the right muffler cat and aftermarket headers will effect removing a drone sound.. is it the exhasut is too noisy or too droney?
Mine does not drone at all but is very loud.. but what a nice loud it is

1 - 4 of 4 Posts