Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L Triton V8 that cranks but won't start. I'll start from the beginning. The truck hasn't been driven no more than 50 miles or so in the last 9 years. A few years ago the battery was replaced in it after sitting up maybe 5-6 years at the time. It took a while to get it started that day but I knew that would be the case. It was driven that day no more than an hour or so for maybe 20 miles and the next day it wouldn't start up. It would only start with starter spray. I figured it wasn't getting fuel so I knew the issue was probably the fuel pump. I didn't worry much about it then because I and my wife had other vehicles to drive. Anyway, after getting tired of it sitting in the yard a few months ago I decided to see if I can get it started. First, I replaced the fuel pump which just looked like it had burned up.

Also, thoroughly cleaned and degreased the fuel tank.

So, after replacing the fuel pump and fresh new, clean gas I thought it would just fire up but it didn't. The next thing I did was replace the spark plugs because I was going to do that anyway but same problem. That brings me to this morning. I bought a noid light set and a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure and fuel injector electrical connections but they all checked out fine. Fuel pressure at the rail was around 40psi. All I can think to do next is replace all 8 fuel injectors in case they are gummed up. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
I know you changed the plugs, but have you checked for spark? You're looking at over 300 bucks for a full injector change. Looking at the fuel pump, I'd question the injectors as well, but I'd try to rule out as much as I could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure it's getting spark since it does start when using starter spray. It seems to be an issue of not getting fuel so I think I'll just go ahead and change the injectors. This weekend I'll remove them and see what kind of condition they're in. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
Good luck, sounds like fuel delivery to me as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I took a chance and went ahead and ordered fuel injectors for it and installed them on the 12th. Only took about an hour to replace them and they were very gummed up with the same gook from the fuel pump and fuel tank.

After I installed the new ones it fired right up. I spent this past weekend draining and flushing the cooling system and I also changed the oil. It's running pretty good so far with a little hesitation at times. I added some seafoam to the gas tank to help clean out the rest of that gook because I saw there was a little left in the fuel rail after installing the new injectors. Is there anything else y'all recommend doing to it since it had been sitting up for a long time? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,293 Posts
Thanks for updating the forum , glad you got it fixed . Now you have it running , might be an idea to check out brakes after so little use over the last few years . See you have changed the engine oil , changing the filter at the same time would have been advisable . Your little hesitation could be caused by a coil pack breaking down intermittently under load and might be something to consider replacing further down the line if it persists . You should get the check light on if it gets worse .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Logan! I didn't mention it but I did change the oil filter too during the oil change. Someone else mentioned to check the brakes too.The SES light is on but when I checked it it says something about Keep Alive Memory too low or something. Comes on about 10 seconds after every start and my Foxwell NT520 won't automatically pull the VIN and identify the vehicle either. I have to manually select my vehicle when using it. I guess I have to do a PCM reset???

Thanks for any advice and help!

·
Super Moderator
19,293 Posts
Forgot to mention , you should LOAD test battery and alternator as any weak / low cells can cause a multitude of sins . Also check ALL earths / grounds .Check this , might help , might not .

"
Some of what has been posted is not entirely accurate and there is a much faster method to clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
The KAM can be reset using a capable scan tool in a few seconds. If you don't have a capable scan tool disconnecting the PCM (computer) for 10 seconds will also work. Another method is to remove the positive battery cable and connect a jumper to the positive battery cable end to ground for 10 seconds.
If you leave the battery disconnected for a long enough period it will reset the KAM provided the back-up power supply is discharged. The backup power supply is mainly used for the air bags, but it will feed other modules for a period of time also.
It should also be noted that anytime you load a new tune into the PCM the KAM is reset also.
It normally takes about 50 to 100 miles for the PCM's adaptive strategy to relearn. When you 1st start the car after resetting the KAM you should let it idle a couple minutes with everything turned of in park/neutral. Then turn the a/c on for a few mins, and after that put the vehicle in gear for a few mins if you've got an auto trans. When your done relearning the idle strategy, drive the vehicle like you normally would. I do not recommend driving it in a manner out of the ordinary at this time. "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts