Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if there was a thread on this, just wanted to know because i'm in the market for a manifold. Which will flow more? I reckon the performer will, but just wondered by how much?

And then how does the edelbrock go compared to the trickflow?

cheers
Simon

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
What? Your keeping the car afterall and beefing it up? Sweet!

I would say the Trickflows flow more, but then again I dont have flow comparisons.

EDXR8? ebxr8240? Racer? anyone?

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
c the thing is i'm an au explorer manifold that someone has for sale so.... i know that trickflow's are the best but i want to know if they will flow "that" much better or if i can get away with porting the au ones....

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
imo. I would say the aftermarket ones are better, plus you can do extra porting to them if you want. For your car I would recommend an edelbrock performer RPM manifold. They shouldnt be much extra over the standard performer manifold.

Do a web search for the edlebrock intakes as well as the trickflow ones. Theres heaps of info on them.

The only reason I would go an explorer is for insurance reasons and also budget performance.

www.edelbrock.com
www.trickflow.com

·
5.0 ED Wagon
123 Posts
Further to Siks question. Will the cost of an Explorer relate to the amount of lost compared to a Edelbrock or Trickflow manifold? Something like the amount of airflow per dollar.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Not too sure. It will obviously depend on application and how far you intend to go.

From what SikEDXR8 car is built to, it would benefit with a explorer no doubt, but IMHO not as much as an aftermarket manifold like an edlebrock performer RPM or similar in the trickflow range.

I have been in Simons car and it definitely need help breathing in the topend department as it wont make power over 4000rpm in its current state. It should rev to 6500-7000rpm with little hassle as it was built that way!

It would be best to assess your intentions and your budget to determine your initial decision for a manifold.

Lastly I would say for bang for your buck, the edelbrock performer is an excellent street intake for not much over 1k. If you can find an explorer manifold, you are definitely doing well!

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Flow wise, the trickflow flows 245cfm, the Edelbrock 225cfm and the explorer just over 190cfm per runner. Power wise there won't be much in it when you take into account 200cfm per runner is roughly equal to 400hp of flow. If you can get an explorer cheap, get it, otherwise get the edelbrock one IMO, but not the RPM one unless you run it on a stroker.

Also, the explorer is fairly easy to port if you have a spare hour or two, and should flow well over 200cfm after.

Here is the data I got out of the MM&FF testing (I think it was that one anyway. I just threw it into an excel graph and it shows minimal differences between the explorer, edelbrock and trickflow. Also remember that the test car is putting out 330rwhp or 245rwkw. ----> graph

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have heard the edelbrock upper is easier to port as well because you can take the cover off. Dont know if this is true or not. I will get my manifold on the car one day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would definetly go the Edelbrock manifold over the Explorer. I have heard that the Trickflow manifolds flow the best out of the lot and are a little cheaper than the edelbrocks.

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EDXR8 said:
Flow wise, the trickflow flows 245cfm, the Edelbrock 225cfm and the explorer just over 190cfm per runner. Power wise there won't be much in it when you take into account 200cfm per runner is roughly equal to 400hp of flow. If you can get an explorer cheap, get it, otherwise get the edelbrock one IMO, but not the RPM one unless you run it on a stroker.

Also, the explorer is fairly easy to port if you have a spare hour or two, and should flow well over 200cfm after.
that's more of an answer i can understand. If the explorer is already around 190cfm, and once i port them around 200, then that should be fine. In reality i don't think the motor will ever make much more than 400HP if that, so the explorer should be fine..... thanks for the info
i'll probably pickup this manifold then unless someone sways me.....

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts
EDXR8 said:
Flow wise, the trickflow flows 245cfm, the Edelbrock 225cfm and the explorer just over 190cfm per runner....
Hey Grant, do you mind if I ask where you got these numbers from? Are they manufacturer claims?

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
The trickflow figure is from trickflow themselves, the Explorer and Edelbrock are from independant flow test results.

·
3FB Educator!
527 Posts
Dont forget that the Trick Flow upper weighs a bit more than the others.
If I was to do it again I would get the Explorer manifold extrude honed.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I think from memory they flow around an appauling 130cfm. Is that right grant?

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
I think they are 136cfm odd,
I have ported my stock lower manifold but I dont think it has made much of a difference, maybe with a few other goodies...But i am looking into the eddlebrock/trickflow manifolds (or ford items if one comes up)as the stock manifolds just dont cut it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Performer intakes can be found on E-bay for $300-350 once in awhile, or you can try the classifieds section at corral.net

Performer intake was one of the best things I did to my car. Almost 20rwhp with the only mods being exhaust and MAF on my 95 5 Liter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts