Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 83 f-150 4x4 that is just driving me nuts. when i hit the brakes the rear starts hopping out of control. sometimes the rear wheels leave the ground :AAHHH: i have overweight springs in the rear and stock shocks./ im wondering if the shocks are the problem or what. sometimes @ cruising spped it happens too just not as bad more like a shudder.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
vinster888 said:
i have an 83 f-150 4x4 that is just driving me nuts. when i hit the brakes the rear starts hopping out of control. sometimes the rear wheels leave the ground :AAHHH: i have overweight springs in the rear and stock shocks./ im wondering if the shocks are the problem or what. sometimes @ cruising spped it happens too just not as bad more like a shudder.
I assume this is a leaf spring vechicle.

Sounds like tramp. What condition are your bushes in?

Check your uni joints as tramp WILL kill them.

Worth upgrading your shocks regardless of the tramp. It may lessen the problem.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Throw a few bags a cement in the back!! Sounds like you can go and mix it with the mexican low riders and their hydraulic jumping cars!

Hmmm.........new shocks wouldn't be a too expensive step to take.

Are your rear brakes discs or drums? Are they grabbing at all? Are discs/drums OK (warped - need machining?). Any brake fluid on your pads? These things can cause shudder and if there's crap on your pads they'll lock up easily.

As your big fat tyres try and stop your bigfoot they cause your leaf springs?? to wind up like an "S" shape. This spring tension winds up and then...pow...the tension releases, causing you wheels to try and rotate in reverse resulting in the back end hopping, and give you hell!

Are they leafs of coils on your 83 model?

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are lasfs and drums. i had the drums resurfaced. when i inspect them you can see marks from the drums on the inside where the hopping action is. hmmm. maybe ill just bury it and buy a chevy. oh did i say that? just kidding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts