Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old tailpipe on the EB has rusted out just on the bend where it goes around the diff. I rang around and got some prices, about $120 for a genuine Ford item compared to about $60 for an aftermarket job. So I bought the cheapie took it to the mechanic to get it fitted (needed to get the chrome tip c/o from the old pipe as well). Farking bodgy POS doesn't line up properly.:fmad:
The end sticks out nearly as far as the towbar and hangs down too low and too much to the right. :fmad: Went to the exhaust shop and it's going to cost another $50 to either cut and shut the tailpipe or make a new one from scratch. :rolleyes: Apparently there are only a couple of aftermarket suppliers that can do these muffler/tailpipes with the correct bends in them, and the brand I have isn't one.:thumbdown

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Ohhhh dear the joys in buying "Cheapies" good value huh go to someone reputable next time... In the long run it'll save you
$$$$

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
A good "exhaust shop" usually make there own.Especially when it comes to repairs..Or is because I allways go bigger in size??

·
The cat in the hat
400 Posts
Ford actually markets 2 levels of exhaust for EA-EL....they have genuine original parts which fit well, last well and actually weigh something, compared to their 'value service' brand which are perry brand i think...very light weight and tend to knock all over the place when fitted. Had one on my XH ute, drove me F&#CkEn nuts!!!!!!:nuts:

·
Super Moderator
3,715 Posts
By the way, the reason they rust there is it where the condensation settles; lowests point away from engine heat. Drill a 2mm hole in the muffler at its lowest point just after the wheel arch so the water cab drain out. After doing this you will observe two things:

a) a pool of water under the muffler each day.

b) a muffler that last many years longer.

I went through a few mufflers myself before I woke up and realised Ford had omitted the drain that once was a standard feature on exhaust systems.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, you live and learn! Thanks for the advice guys. It wasn't the actual muffler that rusted out it was the actual bend around the diff.
Re my posts in EF Exhaust thread about sports systems. one guy quoted $420 and another quoted $320, should I go with the cheap or expensive one? I'm not ready to do it yet (not after just spending over $100 putting the standard rear muffler and tailpipe on) but just curious for the future. What I hate worse than buying something cheap and finding it to be poor quality is to pay the expensive price and find it is exactly the same product as the cheap one.:fmad:

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

Shouldnt ford cover this under warranty?? (or is the ford warranty less than 10 years?)

I had a crack in my muffler, and Genie (well - actually the company that took over genie exhuasts) replaced it free of charge for me.

They replaced from the Y peice back... not just the muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts