Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Have recently picked myself up a nice F100 - 1978, 351 LWB 4WD ute. It was owned by an older guy and kept in great condition. Very original and low k's.

Before I give it a serious off road workout I thought best to change oil in gearbox, transfer case and diffs, as in the past I've found cars that have been pampered all their life can fatigue fairly quickly if driven hard with a new owner.

So other than the obvious, is there any issues to look out for with these models with their 4wd hardware to keep them reliable?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just do the basic maintenance you mentioned and you should be fine. Just be sure hubs are well lubed, u-joints, ball joints, steering components, etc. are greased, and whatever else you can find while you're under there.

You should have yourself a nice vehicle, but don't expect to be able to hammer it over and over with no consequences. It will perform well, but NOTHING is bulletproof.

Congrats on your purchase!

Brian

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
89F150 said:
Congrats on the purchase. sounds like your going to have some fun with it. Got any photos? :s6:
Cheers guys. Yep pic attached. It came with a monstrous steel/aluminium canopy and standard tyres/wheels. They got removed by day 3. Canopy is up for sale if anyone is local and interested. I got a good price on some Pirelli's and fat rims at the local Bob Janes..

She's now got spotties, fitted thermo fans and a relay to the starter circuit which all early Fords seem to need.

So it's starting to look pretty cool. I want to go for a roll bar / sports bar next, but still on the hunt for a good local supplier.

One question, when I'm towing my boat (it's big and heavy) the well/tray seems to move around in reference to the cabin on take off. Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What do you mean by the well/tray seems to move around in reference to the cabin on take off.
The tray should folow the cab around. For example

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.. Ha ha. Towing a 2 tonne boat up a steep hill, on initial take off I hear a chassis movement sound like a gong noise. Look over my shoulder and I see a torsional twist of the well area in reference to the cabin. Know what I mean?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts