Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need a technical advice for (engine knock/pinging) noise coming from the engine while accelerating between 40-80 Km/h, i managed to place my phone in the engine compartment and record the noise (Ford dealership are trying to tell me that it is a normal characteristic noise).

I recorded these videos while driving in the city, 40-80 kph, engine is in the normal operating temperature, doesn’t matter what the road or weather condition outside.
i notice it’s getting loader when i’m driving uphill, the coolant level was at the maximum level when got my truck last week and now it’s at the minimum (drove it for 170 km only) and i notice oil spot on the cylinder head cover (attached Photo) i tried to wash it many times and it's still coming back.

Engine Knock Trip 1
Engine Knock Noise Trip 2
Engine Knock Noise Trip 3

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
That doesn't sound normal, isn't it still under warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, the engine has been replaced at the dealership due to oil/coolant consumption and they did a terrible job, i still have a coolant consumption issue but the noise is still there and now they are trying to tell me it is a normal characteristic noise. i complained about that noise since i bought the truck in Jan 2018 and every time the service advisor tells me it's normal for V8 engines.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
I'd either find another dealer or go up the food chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,787 Posts
I own a 2018 5.0 4X4. It runs great. Coolant and oil consumption are not normal, a slight ping once and awhile is. Ford allows more oil consumption than I would like. I expect less than a quart between oil changes, but you might have to live with "normal" oil consumption. What is "normal" oil consumption seems to vary with Ford. We have four 5.0 powered Fords (Mustangs and F-150), none use any oil, but that is luck and perhaps, careful break-in. Keep in mind that ping and knock are different, knock more serious. Neither is good. As "Cat" said, find another dealer or "take it up the ladder" to Ford. I am surprised that you have experienced coolant consumption on two engines. Are you ALWAYS checking the coolant level when cold?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine was totally a bad luck 2 litters almost in 5k and it got worst 2.5 litters in 2 k, i took it to another dealership and they replaced both cylinder heads again, they reported that the old ones were scored and damaged by the previous dealership, when i collected the truck, the coolant level was on max and after 200 km it is below the minimum level again. i'm just sick of going back again after they said the noise is normal, i didn't have my truck for almost 2 months since this whole repairs started early this year.
i explained to them many times that the engine was running with almost no oil because of the oil leak that happened twice when they did the engine replacement and the second time was the worst when Low oil pressure and engine light warning light came on and i had to tow it back to them. i requested them and Ford Canada customer relation manager to replace everything that they replaced, they said that they have to stick to warranty procedure and what Ford warranty would approve.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,787 Posts
If I understand the attachment correctly, Ford will replace the long block, which is essentially the entire engine minus accessories. That should fix the problem. I don't understand why the first dealership replaced only the cylinder heads when it sounds like the cylinders were scored. Ford did have oil consumption complaints when they switched from iron liners to plasma transfer (Nikasil ?) lined cylinders, but I thought that was under control. Perhaps you should ask (or tell) the Ford rep if your truck is possibly one of the vehicles still having cylinder liner problems. Regardless, the truck is still under warranty, so document everything and you will prevail. Ford likes to keep customers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the attachment was for the first time when they replaced the engine in Jan 2020, the second dealership reported the damage and scores afterwards because of the first engine replacement.
just wanna know if i should accept this noise as a normal characteristic for my engine or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update,
i filed a complaint with CAMVAP and the ministry of transportation in Canada and they said everyone has oil and coolant consumption problem/misfiring, should report it to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I need a technical advice for (engine knock/pinging) noise coming from the engine while accelerating between 40-80 Km/h, i managed to place my phone in the engine compartment and record the noise (Ford dealership are trying to tell me that it is a normal characteristic noise).

I recorded these videos while driving in the city, 40-80 kph, engine is in the normal operating temperature, doesn’t matter what the road or weather condition outside.
i notice it’s getting loader when i’m driving uphill, the coolant level was at the maximum level when got my truck last week and now it’s at the minimum (drove it for 170 km only) and i notice oil spot on the cylinder head cover (attached Photo) i tried to wash it many times and it's still coming back.

Engine Knock Trip 1
Engine Knock Noise Trip 2
Engine Knock Noise Trip 3

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 that was making the exact same noise, I started using higher octane gas / 93 and haven’t heard the noise since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts