Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of Pro-Streeting a FORD F150 (1986 stepside), my problem is the front rotors are the stock 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. Wheel selection is limited at best and to get matching wheels for the rears changing the bolt pattern to 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 4.75" is required. Is it possible to find rotors with the same disk dimensions but different bolt patterns or is re-drilling the only option. I would appreciate any help you could give me

·
Vintage F-100 Member
8 Posts
I do not know of any rotors with the correct size bearings that have the car bolt pattern 4.5". Look around some more, there are lots of wheel companys that make 5.5" bolt wheels. Cragar, Weld, American Racing, Centerline and Eagle.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it gets a little more complex. I have retained the original 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern (in the rear). I had a set of 5 spoke 15"X15" 2 piece aluminum wheels made for the rear (WELD Aluma-Stars). I was planing to running the same style wheel in the front, but have been talked out of it. Everyone I have talked with, said that since this vehicle would see some street use, a narrow (6") 2-piece front drag wheel would be a poor choice.

So. I am looking for a forged or billet wheel to provide the strength for street use, but still narrow enough to handle the severe suspension drop (5” drop in front and 7” in the rear). I will need to run a tire about 27” tall 215-225 x 70 x 15. All the “Truck” wheels (wheel with 5 x 5.5” pattern) that I have seen either do not even come close to matching the rears (5 spoke polished) and / or not available in widths less than 8”
So re-drill comes to mind. My first concern is the hole in the center of the wheel. Will the 4.75" pattern wheel be able to fit the stock FORD rotor centers (re-drilled). The other problem is this would give 2 different bolt patterns and I don't want to re-drill an expensive set of axles and toss a expensive set of
Rear wheels to boot.

Custom front wheels my be another option, but expensive (like this project already hasn’t been?) and I don’t know what type of spindle caps would be available to cover the larger truck bearings (rotor center)

Please Help...looking for options.

·
Fawkin Fordhead
31 Posts
Heres a loophole for you, the 80-84 F100's with a GVWR package lighter than 4750# had the car 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, the 80 and 81's have kingpin front axles though, so, an 82-84 F100 with a GVWR up to #4700 is the donor vehicle you're looking for.
Evan

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, sounds like what I need.

Do you have any idea if these rotors will fit the current spindles or will I be required to get new spindles?

I will get a set of these rotors and eyeball them quite thoroughly to verify all critical dimension, but just thought you might know.

Again thanks for the info!

·
Fawkin Fordhead
31 Posts
I'm not sure about the 82 up, but the kingpin front end 80/early 81 F100 w/GVWR below 4700(small bolt pattern) and the F150 use the same spindle.
Good Luck
Evan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts