Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a F250 Superduty with the powerstroke. I will be pulling my father-in-law's dirttrack race car and etc. I am wanting the manual tranny, but is the auto worth it. Does the auto have any problems to note or is it a bulletproof transmission? Thank you to all that reply.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The E4OD is a weak sister. I ran a small fleet of Powerstrokes (42 to be exact) and 75K is about all they are good for when towing any kind of trailer.
Some last a little longer, some a little less. We serviced them every 15K and all were equiped with large add on coolers.
The five speed is ok, it has weak second gear synchros.
The clutch is terrible though, any rough use and the heat wipes out the dual mass flywheel. This makes a clutch job expensive as hell (somewhere close to $900.00 for parts). I would not reuse a dual mass flywheel no matter how good it looked at clutch replacement time.
I think I would go with the automatic, it will work great throughout it's lifespan, when it fails have it rebuilt and install the latest upgrades (I was getting them done for $1200.00). The 5 speed never works very well, the 3-2 down shift is terrible even when new.
It's a shame that such a great engine and truck package is stuck with such poor transmission choices.
Good Luck making this decision!

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
The auto is the only real choice you have. The stick trans will lower the towing capacity and as all ready mentioned the clutch is expensive to repair.

Auto is easier to drive too. Also, if a stranger drives it he won't burn the clutch up or abuse the trans. shifting it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am lookin at a new super duty w/ a manual 6 sp. also. i had a salesman guarantee that the clutch would go out on the powerstroke within the first 10,000 miles! i thought that was a pretty bold guarantee. anyhow,just want to know what you all think bout the differant trans. options fer the gas engines? thanks.

-nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you have a good salesman!
They all hold up better behind a gasoline engine because the firing impulses are not near as high. Also the the low RPM torque is lower, this makes for a much happier trans. I would still vote for the automatic (same old E4OD I belive). Since asbestos was removed from clutches, they just have not been the same. Although carbon\metalic and kevlar are making great strides.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know its alot of trouble putting a clutch in, but what about a centrifigul force clutch?

-nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are still stuck with the terrible Dual Mass flywheel, no matter what clutch you put in.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you dont think it will hold up in a v10 either? whats so bad about that dual mass flywheel?

-nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is prone to failure, I don't know if it's used on the V10. The PS\7.3 one is about $800.00.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts