Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - 2013 F350 gasser w/ 116k miles, rear brakes have been squeaking for about a week & now the parking brake goes to the floor when I try to set it. Yesterday heard a couple light 'clunks' (coming from the rear somewhere). Pulled the wheels & inspected my rear brakes & the pads are still at ~75%. I've replaced the front & rear pads twice but not done anything else re: brakes, rotors, calipers, etc. No leaks or anything, truck is in very good condition overall. Any idea where to look?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shoes seem fine & cables seem OK as best I can tell. I pulled the rotor off & everything is in tact and parking brake shoes seem fine. The inside of the rotor is pretty rusted though. Not sure why it would all of a sudden start squeaking & occasionally "clunk"... Is it normal for the inside of the rotor to be rusted this bad?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
The inside of the drum is where the parking brake shoes land. Since typically the brake is engaged without the wheels moving, there's not much to keep it from oxidizing.With the parking brakd going to the floor, I'd be looking at the cable for failure and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
18,927 Posts
Hard to see from the picture , but apart from the rust in drum it would appear the shoes are not bedding properly .You could also check the lever mechanism that moves the shoes is not seized . Normally with drum / disc off I would check the operation of cable was working the shoes and grease all contact points on back plate as well as linkage that moves the shoes ( if not seized ) as well as cleaning up inside drum . Also as already suggested , checkout cables .

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
This might not help your problem, but for general info, I apply my parking brake(s) lightly from time to time, on my cars and truck with shoe type parking brakes, as I come to a stop in my driveway. It seems to help keep the braking surface cleaner and rust free and helps the shoes "bed" in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Bajarider
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing