Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
P-Plate Fairlaner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey'all

I have been waiting to do the heater flush on my Fairlane...but today just tinkering...I started the car and let it run for about 5 and then when I was touching the hoses....the one that is furtherest the passenger side that goes into the firewall for the heater was warm but only till about half way down the hose....then it was stone cold. I believe that this might be blocked and thats why the temp guage doesnt register consistantly and that the heater works only a little...maybe there is a constriction on the flow...would this make sense peoples?

Patrick

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
The vacuum operated tap (below those hoses) has probably failed. it may appear to be working on the outside but the flap inside in probably stuck half closed with the operating leaver turning freely inside it. buy a new heater tap. It's a common problem and you will need to put the car up on ramps to change the tap and be prepared to be covered with a little coolant unless you are both quick and lucky.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another problem is that the heater tap also fills with gunk!
easiest solution is to replace it.

as for avoiding getting covered...luck sometimes works, but skill ALWAYS works!

Dump the lower radiator hose first, and run the car for 30 seconds....youwill get very little shower effect when you disconnect the heater tap......also with skill (and a little disassembly) you can do it from above.

Cheers
Jas

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
as for avoiding getting covered...luck sometimes works, but skill ALWAYS works!

Dump the lower radiator hose first, and run the car for 30 seconds....youwill get very little shower effect when you disconnect the heater tap......also with skill (and a little disassembly) you can do it from above.
perhaps but if as I suspect the heater tap is blocked or closed there will still some be coolant in the heater core.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts