Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Australian EL Wagon Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone,

Well I've spoken to Ford and have consulted numerous people in regards to the EF/EL Fairmont Ghia interior door handles. My understanding is that they're metal (and hoping that too!), although Ford reckon they're chrome plated plastic. What gives ?? This is really confusing me, because I know someone with an EF Fairmont Ghia who has *metal* handles. Anyone got any idea ??

Thanks again,
Steve

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info ELGhiaV8 - I have also done some more research and apparently, the metal handles are from NF/NL Fairlane Ghias ??? It's bizarre though, because as stated earlier I have a mate who has an EF2 Fairmont Ghia who has metal handles too! To make things even more difficult one dealer said that they're no longer available (what gives!). It's all too confusing for me ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldnt trust what ford is telling you.....

I rang up for info on Xr valve springs on several diff occasions to diff ford dealers and one time they would say "there was no difference between Gli and Xr", then the next would say "they were completely different..... "
So i went in to order them and the guy looks up on his computer and says "they are the same as Gli...", when i tell him that i was told over the phone from that same dealer the day before that they were different, he comes to the computer on the front counter and turns it for me to see.... looks it up and says.. "oh look this one says they are different...." : (

Then orders them in for me from melbourne ( to Sydney ).. When they arrive i looked at them and said "hey is it my eye sight or is that spring different "....
So the guy opens the pack and takes them out and sure enough there is 11 Xr springs and 1 spring that couldn't have looked more different ( tappered spring, single coil and about half the thickness on each coil.. )

So I dont think i need a reason to say i dont have much faith in ford service at the moment.... : (

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
I thought Ghia's and LTD's had chrome plated plastic handles.....

Sorry to add to the confusion. :)

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bah! I don't know what to think ! hehe ;-) I think I'll just go into a Ford spare parts place and demand to see one in the flesh!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just to add my 2c worth
Mine are definitely Metal.
Also, Fusion has Metal ones from a Fairlane as well.

They may look like they are chromed plastic, but when you actually take them out of the doors, they are very heavy motha's
About 3 times as heavy as the standard plastic ones.

So either its very very very thick and heavy chrome plating, or they are chromed metal !

Cheers
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts