Ford Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
EMW ??? Whats missing ?
1,092 Posts
put 3.7's in the au and instintly turn it into a commodore eater... just dont tell them our secret

·
Don't Know Much User
59 Posts
It'll b interesting next year when the overhead cam commodores hit da roads, theres a 175kw & 190kw versions, as falcons always have a weight disadvantage, i have this horrible feeling that new vz will b shitting over the barra. :AAHHH:

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Kenaz said:
AU Forte 0-100 8.8 400m 16.3
VT Executive 0-100 9.3 400m 16.9

*Taken from an old Wheels magazine
Thanks for saving me looking it up Ash. The original AU is one of the few base Falcons in modern history to be quicker than its Commodore equivalent.

And regarding diff ratios, I believe all 4 speed base models have the 3.08, the EB II was the exception. And the 3.08 simply doesn't team well with the transmission.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
I guess they must have introduced it as a running change in late '00 then, which seems weird. :wtf2:

The BA definitely has the 3.23 or 3.45 on every model in the range, which I didn't realise.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
And regarding diff ratios, I believe all 4 speed base models have the 3.08, the EB II was the exception. And the 3.08 simply doesn't team well with the transmission.
im not sure about EBII, but ED 6 cyls have 3.08s for sure.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
XRs should have the 3.45 diffs. Rollin/Injected, yes the EB II had the 3.27, and the ED reverted to the 3.08 for highway economy reasons.

·
403 Posts
Troutman said:
The AU Forte is quicker than the VT Executive. The AU had a weight advantage and weighed less than its predecessor. If we are talking AU II vs VT II it could well swing the other way.
i have seen an AUII flog a VXII by 2 car lenghts at a traffic light rumble.

it was the guys who work for the dealers who take the cars from the holding yards :angel:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've dragged two VY Commo's in my EF with pacemaker extractors, lukey exhaust and tickford snorkel, beat them both by about a car length to 120, so I'm pretty sure you could beat it mate. By the way I was beaten off the line both times because of my damn 3.08 open diff :p mumbles obscenities about tall 1st gear

Nick.
I'm a Holden fan here but still would love a fast ford just wanted to be part of this conversation.

VYs weigh a lot (Very stupid in my opinion) and if they were stock that's a different story, I reckon a VT 2 or any VX would most likely be faster because of the weight (especially the VT 2)

this just my opinion and I respect fords and Holdens

·
Registered
2 Posts
My mate has a new VY S Pac and we used to race our old cars all the time.

We went out the road just to see what would happen. I have a AUII, standard except I have a Lukey box at the back.

The results wont please all, but this is what happened.

Out of 4 races, I lost them all.

The Commy gets off the line much quicker. But, be the end of the 1/4, I am running him down, and fast!!

We had another rolling start, and I got in front of him, and pulled away.

People have to accept that 6 cylinders are not fast cars!! The Falcons gearing is against it as well. But, on the open road, if you have a Commy behind you, you should be able to stay in front. The Fords motor just has much more GRUNT!!
I do think the gearing is a bit weird on the Holdens but a simple diff change and that would change it completely.

V6s are just V6s and inline 6s are just inline 6s, would be better to at least see a XU6 vs an XR6 or a SS (maybe a XU8 but I reckon the XR8 would win) vs a XR8

21 - 39 of 39 Posts