Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Veteran revhead
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the Falcon SR is an attractive piece of equipment, I think that there could have been a better alternative,for the performance minded enthusiast, hence my version of the Falcon SR. The car is as follows, Standard AUII Forte with the following changes:
-no bodykit, no alloys or chrome exhaust tip
-Police spec suspension
-Police spec 55 series tyres on standard 16in pursuit rims
-IRS
-Limited slip differential
-5 speed trans
-4ltr VCT motor
-standard Forte interior

The above vehicle would give performance minded buyers a good base to start with, without the running costs or insurance premiums of a V8. All the bits are 'off the shelf', and it would give the buyer a police spec car, but being brand new, it wouldnt have been fully thrashed, and would have a 3 year warranty!!

What does the board think?

·
Registered
453 Posts
sounds good to me. The only thing I'd change is the IRS. I think its weight penalty is too great
Need something affordable, that goes hard for the youngies(??) to get into.
:thumbup: :damack: :thumbup:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Isn't the Falcon S the car you are describing? That would make a better base provided you could get the VCT engine. Then again, that's what the XR6HP is.......

What you are describing is an options mix. Remember when you could order a car to your liking? They had a list of options and you did your thing and waited. You got the car you REALLY wanted. Maybe Ford should do this for the rest of AU2 since volume demands are reasonably low at the moment and this 'customisation' could be better handled?

·
Saving for a BA XR6t
171 Posts
This is E X A C T L Y what I was talking about to a friend last night over ICQ. I think it would be cool if an 'interceptor' type model was released with bare-bones features in a 'sporting' setup.

It might get enthusiasts buying a Forte, nice change.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
I think you've got to have the option of the 5L and the manual. Having driven both I've got to say the 5L is much the nicer one to live with. Easier to modify too which may be an important consideration for someone to buy one.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
anakha said:
I think you've got to have the option of the 5L and the manual. Having driven both I've got to say the 5L is much the nicer one to live with. Easier to modify too which may be an important consideration for someone to buy one.
I agree. I also think that the weight penality of the irs is out numbered by the advantages in handling and grip if driving pleasure is a concern to the buyer

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
What you are describing is an options mix. Remember when you could order a car to your liking? They had a list of options and you did your thing and waited. You got the car you REALLY wanted. Maybe Ford should do this for the rest of AU2 since volume demands are reasonably low at the moment and this 'customisation' could be better handled?
Agreed 100%. Allowing this could possibly even sell a few more cars? And we could make our cars more "individual"
Did this trend at Ford start with the XE when the V8 was resticted to the high end Ghia's thus restricting the performance engines to someone with a healthy bank balance.
Russell.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Rastus said:
Agreed 100%. Allowing this could possibly even sell a few more cars?
Russell.
I have no doubts this will sell more cars. It has to!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
SIM EF6 said:
It might get enthusiasts buying a Forte, nice change.
Change the word enthusiasts with the word anyone and you have a great start. Lets get more people into Falcons I say. God knows we need something to boost the sales.. :(

·
Veteran revhead
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, how about it Geoff?

It has the potential to be a good seller, if it is marketed thru the dealers correctly. It can be put together using 'off the shelf' parts, so the production line wont be stuffed around, and it will give buyers a budget performance base to start with, without forking out 40K or more for a Tickford car. (or a Commonwh0re). It doesnt need a fancy name or anything like that, it can just be sold as an 'interceptor special' or something.

By the way, numerous Holden dealers are doing EXACTLY this over here (WA), by ordering police spec V6 and V8 commonwh0res with manual transmissions and marketing them as an 'interceptor LE' Commodore. It appears that this errmm..model was not sanctioned by the factory and it was concocted by the dealers, as there will be no more ex-cop V8's coming through the auctions over here soon, but there is still a demand for cop spec commodores. (apparently)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts