·
Turbo MAN
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Falcon's police role could go global
By Bob Jennings
The Sun-Herald
Monday June 9 2003

Australia's Ford Falcon could replace police cars in the US. Bob Jennings reports.
There is growing pressure on police departments in the US to replace the Ford Crown Victoria -- and this could create an opportunity for Ford Australia.

The Crown Victoria has been the centre of a safety controversy in recent months, but there are few suitable V8 front-engine, rear-drive replacements in the US Ford line-up.

Jeff Schuster, the director of North American forecasting for industry research and marketing firm JD Power and Associates, says the Ford Falcon could well be the perfect replacement for the ageing Crown Victoria.

The Falcon's mechanical underpinnings could serve as a replacement police car and in the next five years could be built at Ford's plant in St Thomas, Canada, he said.

The Crown Victoria is under scrutiny after a series of rear-end collisions that resulted in petrol tank leaks and fires and the deaths of several police officers.

advertisement

advertisement
Ford in Australia, however, has thrown cold water on the plan.

"There are no export plans," a spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile, Acid Rush, Hot House and Red Hot are not terms you'd expect to hear when referring to the average highway patrol car.

But these are the colours of the bright yellow, bright green and red police cars that will be on the roads around the NSW snowfields from now until the end of the October school holidays.

The move to introduce the highly visible patrol cars (pictured) follows agitation by Sergeant Kim Taylor of Cooma police. He said they were part of a deliberate strategy "to be out there and be seen".

He pointed out that white police cars were hard to see against a snow background.

"Normal highway patrol cars are also difficult to see from the air," Taylor said. "It is much easier to track these new cars from a helicopter."

The yellow car is a Falcon XR8, and the green and red cars are both Holden SS models.

Taylor said the NSW trial of brightly coloured cars followed a similar, successful, trial in the Victorian snowfields.

The vehicles were revealed last week during the launch of Operation Snow Safe 2003, at which Acting Southern Region Commander Wayne Dedden said police were working alongside the RTA, National Parks and Wildlife Service and local councils to combat drink-driving, speeding and major-injury collisions during the snow season.

"Now in its 10th year, Operation Snow Safe has resulted in a significant reduction in road trauma in the alpine region, which in turn reduces the cost to the community in human terms," Dedden said.

"We want to make sure that every trip to the mountains ends with fond memories, not in licences being suspended or worse, lives being lost."

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
TurboMan6 said:

Ford in Australia, however, has thrown cold water on the plan.

"There are no export plans," a spokeswoman said.
:iwsun: :alien:

It ain't happening.

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Pfft, stupid Ford is at it again... No ambition I tell ya... This is such a great opportunity. Dickheads...

Alex

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Petrol tanks have to be in front of or over the diff in USA cars I thought, hence the export problem.

Dellboy999

·
Registered
276 Posts
never knock down a oppotunity when you want it may never come back again. That is- business common sense. It could also be finally the foot in the door finally for the aussie Falcon in the States.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
Petrol tanks have to be in front of or over the diff in USA cars I thought, hence the export problem.

Dellboy999
Haha, thats just the beginning. The cost to retool for LHD itself would be expensive, and Ford Aus are already pumping out falcs as fast as they can, given delays with JIT. I don't think many people would be happy if Ford took longer to fulfill their order either.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
An export program like this is very achievable and profitable, the only issue I can see at this stage is that Ford US has other plans.

BTW The petrol tank location on the BA meets US requirements.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
The tank positioning is not set down, but many manufacturers achieve the required rear impact standards by locating the fuel tank over or infront of the axle.

·
کhậ۴ţ
682 Posts
Sort out your own backyard before you take on the world.

Ford really need to get the new models established and production increased whilst still improving on quality.

Then they can think about export. :)

·
E-Series Cameraman
1,388 Posts
Yes we should look after ourselves first, but they shouldn't just say no just like that, at least stick it on the fridge and not toss the idea out the window. I would've been a little more comforted if they had said 'perhaps in the future once we have things sorted here' or something to that effect.

Alex

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
I don't think Ford Aus has even been asked. There are an awful lot of issues to get through before any kind of export program to the US - remember Holden wants to send over more Munros but can't because of the import quota set by the US government under pressure from their auto unions.

Probably the cheapest way to get masses of falcs into america would be to produce them over there, or more to the point, in Mexico using similiar tactics Toyota tried to pull on us with their Avalon - buy the machinery and jigs for a superceeded models.

Anyway, Im not too sure how holden will go in the next decade- it may indeed have actually shot itself in the foot with the GTO. What happens if they are a raging sucess?

They (the US) will want to introduce the commodore range elsewhere -Ive already heard they want the statesman and ute - what else is going to happen?

To keep their unions and much of their "its not built here" population happy they will tool up and build commodores over there. More to the point - probably in mexico where they are more efficient than anywhere else just simply due to the labour laws.

What else is going to happen ? Holden can kiss their LHD export goodbye.

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Couldn't Aus just give the US the tooling plans etc. and get them to build it in LHD instead of the Crown Vic? That thing is seriously past it's use by date...

·
Registered
170 Posts
If Ford were to make the falcon in the US it would be the end of Australian made fords. Simple. Economies of scale would render the Australian plant un-economical, giving Ford HQ in the US the excuse they've been looking for for the past 20 years to close up shop in Oz. Sorry, but it's a bad idea IMO...

As for Ford Oz exporting to US - how about Ford Oz making enough cars to satisfy demand here before people start saying they should look at sending cars over the pond?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
imugli said:
If Ford were to make the falcon in the US it would be the end of Australian made fords. Simple. Economies of scale would render the Australian plant un-economical, giving Ford HQ in the US the excuse they've been looking for for the past 20 years to close up shop in Oz. Sorry, but it's a bad idea IMO...

As for Ford Oz exporting to US - how about Ford Oz making enough cars to satisfy demand here before people start saying they should look at sending cars over the pond?
I find this somewhat hard to swallow - where was the Falcon first made?

·
Ford Member
1,156 Posts
BA tooling will become avalible once the sucessor platform(orion?) is released in 2006/7.

They could ship the tooling over to the US, make the minor adjustments for LHD (steering/ front interior) which would most likely need to be made anyway even for a existing lhd model.

Pretty much what toyota did with the Avalon here, buying a outdated model and making it locally. in 2006/7 the Falcon won't be miles out of date tho, it should pass easily the crash standards with minor modifications and should be able to squeeze 5-10 years out of it. The 4.6L DOHC V8 will fit easy and the chassis will easy be able to handle the power.

But china actually sounded interested in the tooling. They want to build territories and maybe Falcons/Fairlanes.

I hope someone picks up the BA tooling, its a really nice car, modern in everyway.

But I doubt any of it will happen.. Falcon has no export potential in the eyes of FoMoCo..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know that the monaro which went to the states as the GTO had the tank moved and it losta heap of boot space as a result.
Still, it was designed by a company that still sacrifices boot space to the hinges.
Unlike the falcon which has the hinges outside the boot cavity area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts