Ford Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Scoob010
410 Posts
You'd be dreaming if you think we'd sell it to them and that's it.
Even if they didn't shut down Ford Aus, drastic but it hangs by
a Falcon, if it was popular over there the marketplace in Texas
is bigger than our whole country.
Who do you think they'll listen to when it comes time to design
the next model?
And they screw everything.
Leave it out. We don't NEED export to the states, it's on the
other side of the world and they always win.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IPhido said:
BA tooling will become avalible once the sucessor platform(orion?) is released in 2006/7.

They could ship the tooling over to the US, make the minor adjustments for LHD (steering/ front interior) which would most likely need to be made anyway even for a existing lhd model.

Pretty much what toyota did with the Avalon here, buying a outdated model and making it locally. in 2006/7 the Falcon won't be miles out of date tho, it should pass easily the crash standards with minor modifications and should be able to squeeze 5-10 years out of it. The 4.6L DOHC V8 will fit easy and the chassis will easy be able to handle the power.

But china actually sounded interested in the tooling. They want to build territories and maybe Falcons/Fairlanes.

I hope someone picks up the BA tooling, its a really nice car, modern in everyway.

But I doubt any of it will happen.. Falcon has no export potential in the eyes of FoMoCo..
IPhido, I reckon you've hit on some great ideas here because the world is moving toward global models. Now, before a lot of you cite to me examples such as the Honda Accord, hear me out—BMW 3-series and Honda Civic are two very good examples that global tastes aren't as disparate as Ford US tells us.

Holden's export strategy (Pontiac GTO, Chevy Lumina and Caprice, Buick Royaum) works because they found ways to integrate VT–VZ Commodores into the global scheme, and because Lutz and his guys supported the integration. (Not saying they are good cars—rented a VYII last week and it was floaty like an EF!)

If Ford faces the sort of cash crunch they are talking about, it does make sense for Ford Australia to do what it does best: develop decent big cars that show how many light years Dearborn is behind on them—the Five Hundred is a joke and the Crown Vic, though I have a soft spot for it, is a rebodied '79 US LTD and doesn't do much to hide it when you drive it.

I say: fit the EAs into the global scheme. There have always been ways to do this—badge some models as a Mercury (I could never understand why they did not try this more in the US with the Mazdas as they had already passed crash testing, and overcome the "Ford with extra bits" image), stick Falcons above the Five Hundred, where they belong anyway, and own the full-size RWD sedan sector. A bit late now that Chrysler has its 300/Magnum out but GM is still trying to tell the Yanks that what they really want is an FWD Impala with a V8, and I don't think they are right … I was saying this years ago, but who's going to listen to one guy in New Zealand, right?

This could save Dearborn heaps, and Bill Ford would give me a million bucks to consult—not!

Ford China has been slow to get off the ground and it shows the sort of insular thinking that Henry II was known for—now they are playing catch-up. If GM Shanghai makes a killing on the Buick Royaum (Statesman) then I would say your suggestion of EA169/BA being in China is not unlikely, but personally I think it's going to be the 2007 EAs.

Ford Australia will be the centre of development for the Chinese market—the Focus sedan was an Aussie development and I think styled by Butterworth—so when Ford does get off its ass to enter China properly, it will be an Australian-developed range, or the Euro cars with heavy Australian input.

We know Ford wants this, but it's getting it past internal politics and the Glass House …

·
Registered
102 Posts
scoob010 said:
You'd be dreaming if you think we'd sell it to them and that's it.
Even if they didn't shut down Ford Aus, drastic but it hangs by
a Falcon, if it was popular over there the marketplace in Texas
is bigger than our whole country.
Who do you think they'll listen to when it comes time to design
the next model?
And they screw everything.
Leave it out. We don't NEED export to the states, it's on the
other side of the world and they always win.
Hey Scoob010: I agree with you that they wouldn't listen to Ford Australia on this—but I reckon in this day and age we need exporting. Ford Australia probably will be a major exporter once FMC gets into China—remember the 'A' in EA, SA, CA stands for Asia and Australia. If the Territory gets there (and I reckon it will) it would kick ass. Come to think of it, Ford would make a bundle selling it into Russia, too.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
19 Participants
Jack Yan
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing