Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you US Probers. Anyone think that 12.3's are possible from a turbo KL03? I know that it's not much to go on and for a definate answer you would need more specs than I've given.........

I'll see what I can come up with.

I'm dubious.............very dubious.

I haven't seen pics of the car (except with bonnet closed - and it looks completely stock)
I haven't seen pics of a timeslip

But - I'm no technical wiz. Are other peoples 'BS meters' going off as much as mine??

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is some of the 'technical specification' on this Turbo KL03. These are mostly comments from the owner of the car.........

Best 0 - 100 timer was 4.6 seconds,1st and 2nd gear. in the 400m traction was a huge problem. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear wheel spin.

One thing I forgot to mention, 186kw at 6300rpm, no nitrous, I will not go the bottle.

(This is a comment from another Prober) - 4.6!!!!! you got a jet engine on that or what?? 12.3 is the fastest 1/4 i've ever seen listed too, you must have awesome mods, could you list 'em for us? also, how was the 0-100k measured? what were the conditions? Damn i wish i had the cash to make my car that quick

(note: 12.3 was stated in his ‘sig’…..I notice that it has been changed…..)

Walbro in tank replacement pump, SR20 injectors modified slightly, rising rate FPR, 3" exhaust, T04 turbo, modified slightly by a friend who does Craig Dysons turbos for his RX drag car, custom tuirbo manifold by the same person, Microtech computer to control it all and custom 12" rims with 23" drag slicks on the front.

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
No way. BIG BS flag here....:D

Let's analyze, shall we?

186kW = 252 hp (approx). - let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say that this is wheel power, not crank power.

I could barely hit 13.3 with about 215 whp (159 kW). You can't drop a full second with just an extra ~30kW. You need upwards of 220kW to run low 12s on a car that has a full interior (looks stock).

Additionally, there is no way in hell you could hit a 12.3 spinning severely in all 4 gears unless you are making monster power (up of 300kW). He also makes no mention of tranny or differential work - a stock tranny will probably snap the axles or grenade itself with slicks that big.

12.9 or 13.0 I could believe, but I am getting tired of all these clowns coming around and making claims that they can't back up - post a damn timeslip.

Oh, and if he didn't want to raise the bonnet for ya, you better believe that he was lying out of his ass!! :D:D

"Uh, yeah, I got a twin turbo under the hood putting out 450kW at the wheels with a triple stage nitrous system, but I don't want to show it to you - just take my word for it"
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dan, you crack me up sometimes. In a good way of course! Im still amazed at your vast knowledge of our cars...were you a mechanic in a former life or something? :D

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan,

You said it all - but far more technically than I could. If the guy wasn't such a tool - I'd make an effort to discredit him.

I actually feel sorry for him, having to BS about his car. I mean - it's a Probe, isn't it? That should at least make him happy......especially in a country that ONLY EVER got 2000 of 'em!!!!

He should hand it back.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. We asked for pics. We asked for timeslips.

Regards,

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
One of my dreams is to own a right-hand drive Probe! Maybe I'll take my car with me when I vacation in the UK or Australia and swap with someone there :D

If the guy wasn't such a tool - I'd make an effort to discredit him.

Trying to reason with some of these people is a pretty daunting challenge :D

·
Probe Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, I would have thought with the current exchange rate, you could probably afford to buy a couple of Probes from Australia :)

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
That's what I'll do if I can't get into the 12s by the end of the year - sell my 13sec PGT and gte a RHD Probe and start over :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts