Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '02 Ford Taurus with 99k miles that's got something loose in the front end but I'm not entirely sure what it is. When under moderate to hard braking there's a quick shaking in the front of the car and the steering wheel jerks in sync with the shaking. Jacked up one front wheel, left the other on the ground, and sure enough the wheel moves when pushed at 3 and 9 o'clock, but not at 12 and 6.

Any advice on where to go from here?

·
Administrator
8,332 Posts
Are we talking very little movement? Does the steering seem tight while driving? Have a look at the tie rods ends both sides outer and inner. The inner is located at the steering rack under the boot.

Had a 01 Taurus that did this but mine was due to warped rotors.

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
I was about to suggest warped rotors too. I would also suggest checking over the entire front suspension while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got the 3 and 9 movement so I'm sure it's something in the steering but something else seems to be going on. The tracking seems to resemble my '11 Vic when the ball joints were going bad so I'm suspect something in the suspension as well. That thing had 320k on it so who knows what else was going wrong under there.

So far I've gotten advice to check both inner and outer TREs, ball joints, control arm bushings, idler arm, rack and pinion and pitman arm. Any other steering/suspension components anyone could suggest checking out?

·
Administrator
8,332 Posts
There are no upper ball joints, pitman or idler arms on your Taurus. As I've mentioned above, check inner and outer tie rods ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts