Ford Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday, Any one know how to set the ignition timing on a '98 Festiva. It's a 5 door, can't find the engine size anywhere on the car. I gather you link 2 wires in the diag connector like most "Mazda" cars then check as usual.
Thanks , Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smally351 said:
You need to bridge the 'TEN' terminal and the 'GROUND' terminal in the diagnostic connector, near the LHF strut mount in the engine bay.
Yep Thanks. I gathered that from what Mazdas are generally like. Any idea which terminal is which on the Festiva. No marking whatsoever on this car. Doesn't seem there was ever a label anywhere either. Anyone got a pic of the pinouts?
Thanks, Jim

·
BA Barracus
95 Posts
On the LHS strut tower in engine bay, locate diagnostic test connector, open the cover.
Looking at the pins, locate the first row closest to the hinge, 2nd pin in from the left(facing the engine bay) is the ST1
[/URL][/IMG] then locate 2nd row very far right(should be the only pin in that row) this is GND(ground), bridge them prior to starting engine and setting timing.
Allow engine to reach operating temp before altering timing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
i need to check ignition timing on my Festiva but the diagnostic plug is different to photos in previous post. I have a 99 WF Trio S with 1500cc Mazda B5 eng. It's original factory eng. I don't want to take it to Ford to use there service tool if I can help it cause i'd rather do it myself. Need to know which terminal to ground so timing marks don't jump all over the place. Need your guys help cause i've hunted the internet and can't find anything. Plug has got 20 pins total. I'll try and post a photo of plug soon as I can get it reduced small enough to upload.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i too have a 2000 festiva, which uses this same plug.
so far what i have learnt that its possibly using a kia diagnostics system.
can anyone help out, on how to
1. which pins need to be bridge to check/adjust ignition timing
2. how to check for engine error codes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.